Looking into buying gear. Bcd or bpw?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I was in a similar position about 2 months ago, I took the plunge and purchased an aqualung balance bcd, which is actually a wing so my DM tells me,

At first I kept spinning around but I found out I was massively overweighted like yourself

at the surface it pushes me slightly forward,but it's not a problem I just really lean back and lay on the wing,
The integrated weight pockets sit slightly higher than you would normally put a weight belt and are much more comfortable.
And my trim is great, much better than the other students on rentals, I just keep my heels above my head and frog kick along like a much more experienced diver.

Overall I 100% recommend a bpw or wing n back plate over a normal bcd

Mike

at the surface it pushes me slightly forward,but it's not a problem I just really lean back and lay on the wing,

When I just began diving I thought that my rear-inflate BC was pushing me forward. I later realized that my belt-weights were sliding forward when I was in the horizontal position. After the dive it wasn't the rear-inflate that was pushing be forward, it was the weight pouches (now in front of my belly) that were pulling me forward. Also, on the surface try bending at the knee - it shifts your center of gravity backward.

Just trust me. Buy a BP/W setup. Never look back. You will wish you had 2-3 years from now. It's about functinolaity and the ability to configure different setups. Get a STA (Single Tank Adapter) and a 30-40 lb wing and you can switch to doubles down the road. Better trim, moduloar aspect (you could get different wings down the road), durability, you cant break a piece of steel ! Replace webbing as needed every few years and you are set. Dive Rite, OMS, you name it. All made great BP/W setups. The only real question is Steel or Alumimum. I dive cold quarry waters in the Northeast mostly so I go steel. Either way you will be removing a ton of lead of your waist and depending on your setup not even need lead as I dive with none. If you travel a lot there are backplates made specifically for this. Aluminum will be ligher of course. Good luck !

When I just began diving I thought that my rear-inflate BC was pushing me forward. I later realized that my belt-weights were sliding forward when I was in the horizontal position. After the dive it wasn't the rear-inflate that was pushing be forward, it was the weight pouches (now in front of my belly) that were pulling me forward. Also, on the surface try bending at the knee - it shifts your center of gravity backward.

I have an integrated weight system on bpw, but the weights do sit around the side of my belly

Mike

Never met one. Never heard of one. Never met anyone who has heard of one.
Without going through all of the previous post and pulling out the specific posters here on SB from the previous threads on this subject there have been a few who indicated they tried them but went back to traditional style BC's.

Why choose between a back inflate and a BP&Wings? There are quite a few solutions out there that are the best of both worlds. I just picked up Dive Rite's "HunterPac BCD" and I can't wait to dive it. I think I'm going to love it!

2629.jpg

It's got Dive Rite's attention to detail, is a back inflate, uses 2" webbing for the harness and comes with a crotch strap.

Reactions: cib
Why choose between a back inflate and a BP&Wings? There are quite a few solutions out there that are the best of both worlds. I just picked up Dive Rite's "HunterPac BCD" and I can't wait to dive it. I think I'm going to love it!

2629.jpg

They're about $450. Very light and they are essentially built around a wing. I've also used the Zeagle Express Tech and I think Oxychec has a similar product.

Back
Top Bottom