looking to buy used tank

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

scotthowes

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
I just don't log dives
I want to buy a 2 used tanks.I have already made the mistake of buying aused Luxfer 80 pre-86.some places will fill others not.A local dive shop is sellingrental ALUM-80 with current vis and boot for $120.I don't know valve brand.Is it a fair deal?

That's a fair enough deal. I'm not sure of the market around you, but I can buy a new AL80 for $150. If I were you, I would spend the extra $30 to get a new tank. However, they might be a little more costly in your area. All in all, $120 isn't a ripoff.

I sold a nice-looking Al 80 with new hydro and viz for $122 on eBay last year. The buyer paid shipping, too. So $120 is "in the range" but top-dollar. If a tank soon needs a hydro, the price is approaching a new one. By the way, looks don't count for much on a tank. It's what the insides look like that matter.

Is the Aluminum 80 the right cylinder for you? If you can try a steel 100, you may prefer it to the 80. That's why I sold that 80.

What's the born date and last hydro? If it still has 3 or 4 years until hydro it could be a decent deal. Once a year our LDS has a used equipment sale. They sell used AL80's for around $80.
Have you checked scubatoys and leisurepro to see what you can get a new tanks for?

Back
Top Bottom