Looking to dive around Sarasota

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

pistonbroke

Reaction score
# of dives
25 - 49
Hi All.

I'm coming to Florida in a months time (late April, Warly May), and am planning on getting some good diving in. my Dive buddy (My Daughter) and I will be staying in Sarasota, and apart from a few trips booked, we've got no knowledge of the area.

I'd like to get some information (if I can) of any reccommended dives within an hours drive of Sarasota - I'm up for reef, wreck or fresh water - the most important ingredient as far as I'm concerned is that otehr divers rate the place and can provide me with some rudimentary instructions on how to get there, parking, bearings, costs (as applicable) - and I promise that I'll do the same on these boards to decribe places to dive off the coast of Wales in GReat Britain where I live and normally dive.

We're both PADI open water divers with almost fifty dives under our belts, and will be getting the Advanced training whilst in Florida, so in the second week, we can perhaps get a few deeper dives in.

I've been to Florida a few times before, as we have (non diving) relatives over there, but I've only ever seen the parts of it above the surface - I can't wait to experience the flip-side.

So, if you can help, please drop a posting which can help me, and others too and I'll write up my holiday experiences when I get back to great Britain.

Thanks in advance,

Pistonbroke

Hi

I moved to Florida from the UK just over a year ago (I lived in London but my family actually lives just West of Swansea!). I now live on the East Coast of Florida but my wife and I had a mini honeymoon in Sarasota last May and did some diving whilst we were there. You'll love it! I do reccomend you schedule your diving for early in the day though as in the afternoons and for most of the evening it pours down like a monsoon!

The diving was great. We stayed at the Hyatt Regency in Sarasota and we dived with Scubaquest based in Sarasota. (Their address is below). The diving was great, calm seas with little current and great viz. We did the 'Tri ledge' and the 'M1 Barge Wreck'. The big attraction with diving the West Coast is the high chance of seeing Goliath Grouper (VERY big fish!). We saw two on our first dive and another on the 2nd. They really are breathtaking, especially up close and were the highlight of the dives for me. The other diving attraction which we didn't do (but we will when we go back to Sarasota) is Shark tooth diving (looking for giant fossilised shark teeth which are quite common in that area). if you go to the Scubaquest shop they have several on display and do trips to the locations where you are likely to find some.

Scuba Quest Florida Dive Centers Scuba Quest Florida Dive Centers
Sarasota Scuba Quest
1129 S. Tamiami Tr.
Sarasota, FL 34236
Phone: (941) 366-1530

As I'm sure you know the diving over here compared to UK diving is a lot easier and less stressfull giving you more time to enjoy the dive. Having said that I do miss UK diving and I am determined to dive the Pembrokeshire coast on one of my return visits home. Wherabouts in the UK / Wales have you dived?

Let me know if I can give you any more information / help for whilst you're here.

Luke

Hi Luke.

Thanks for the information - was the Scuba Quest Charter out to reef areas with plenty of sea life, or do the wrecks themselves act as artificial reefs?

Reading the information on the boards here about venice and the surrounding areas does not paint much of a picture of bountiful sea life.....

I've already booked up to go on the Megaladon dive charter, hunting for Shark Teeth, as my daughter loves all thngs sharky- except the soup, I'd hasten to add!

The Scuba Quest Charters were mainly to Artificial Reefs (such as the barge I dived on). There are some natural reefs (the first dive I did was a low profile reef ranging from 3 -8 ft off the bottom with some nice marine life). but just remember though that Florida has lots of different types of natural reef which attract all different types of marine life. To see the mind blowing coral reefs with fish life everywhere you really have to take a trip down to the Keys (which are amazing by the way!).

Having said that compared to the UK and even the Mediteranean there is a LOT more fish life in the seas around all of Florida, even in the areas considered localy to be not that great. I think you'll really enjoy diving Sararasota. Let me know what the Shark dive is like as my wife is quite keen to do that one next time.

Luke

You may also want to consider driving a little bit south and doing a dive in Venice for some fossil hunting. We have a whole section here in the Florida Conch Divers forum dedicated to diving that area. The water hopefully will be a little bit warmer by then too!
When it gets closer to coming, posting the dates and destination may be considered an open invitation for others to join you (hint). :)

You may also want to consider driving a little bit south and doing a dive in Venice for some fossil hunting. ....................
When it gets closer to coming, posting the dates and destination may be considered an open invitation for others to join you (hint). :)

Booked with Megaladon Charters for 21st April :)

Maybe see you there :)

Thanks for the info guys. We just booked a vacation on Siesta Key for June. While the vacation isn't a dive vacation I plan on getting a few dives in while we are there. Send on any more info if there is any. I think we are looking to hit up Venice one day while we are there also.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/
https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom