Looking to get back into Scuba Diving

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

PILMAN

Registered
Reaction score
Hello, I am new to the forums. I want to say that I have had an interest in scuba diving for a while now. I started off with an interest about 11 years ago when I was 12 (in 1997). The first time I tried scuba was in Hawaii, they had some 1 day course where you could get temporary certification. I don't recall what happened but I wasn't able to do scuba on the snorkeling tour for some reason but they offered what was called Snuba. My father and I did this and it was somewhat similar.

After that, we were planning another trip on a cruise to Cayman Islands and my father wanted us to get certified so we took the course through a dive shop in Illinois where we lived at the time. This was near the end of 1998. We went through the courses which included the classes and the pool dive, also I believe some reading materials including software for the computer at the time to prepare for tests, it was sold by PADI if I recall and I still have it.

Due to me being young at the time, it was difficult for me to study for the tests having school and what not so there were several times where I had to retake the tests. I dropped out after I panicked on a exercise which required our tanks be turned off and then turned back on, I was unable to turn my tank back on and ascended to the surface. The instructor tried pulling me by the leg as I guess I was ascending too quickly. I dropped out of the class and didn't consider it again.

Here I am 10 years later, I have a sudden urge now that I have relocated to Florida to get back involved in scuba diving. I think a lot has changed in 10 years and I am mentally and physically prepared for it now.

I called a dive shop here in town and they want $250.00 for the course and that includes the dive as well as getting certified.

I've got plenty of experience swimming as I have a pool in the backyard and I take my waverunners out on the gulf of Mexico frequently so that's not a issue.

I was wondering if much has changed in the past 10 years in terms of tests and what I should be looking forward to? Thanks.

Matt.

Technology has changed and you've likely forgotten many of the skills and academics.

Why not take the course and have fun?

Technology has changed and you've likely forgotten many of the skills and academics.

Why not take the course and have fun?

Sure, I never got to the open water part of the test, and honestly at the time, I was a little scared to do the open water part as lakes didn't have as good of visibility.

I live right near the gulf of Mexico here so water is pretty clear for the most part.

What does the open water test normally consist of?

you should have no problems,open water is doing 3 or so dives in a open water enviorment with a instructor,you could do it in a spring down there. there are many good instructors on the board here that could probably help you out.welcome to the scubaboard.

What does the open water test normally consist of?

Basicly, it's just a short series of easy dives where you demonstrate that you can do some basic skills like clear a flooded mask, adjust your buoyancy, share air with a buddy, and ascend safely. That sort of thing... it's nothing to stress out over.

Have fun!

Hello Pillman, it is great to hear of your interest in diving. If you visit Padi.com most if not all of your questions will be answered. Florida is awesome and the diving there is cool. Plenty of close and very interesting diving sites. Find the local dive shop that makes you feel comfortable and you trust. Next find a instructor that can be sensitive to your past experiences while encouraging to achieve your goals. It might be good to pay a little extra for private lessons, I did and it was very worth it. I had some pretty intense experiences in the water past history and it took a few more pool training times that made the difference for me. My instructor has been added to the short list of those people I would trust with my life as well as my wife and kids! Diving has made a incredible difference in my life and I am excited for you my friend. Good luck and keep us posted on your progress! CamG Keep diving....keep training....keep learning!

Matt... A lot has changed!!! Sign up at your local dive shop and start over....take your O/W course and get things in order...have fun and be safe!!!

I was wondering if much has changed in the past 10 years in terms of tests and what I should be looking forward to? Thanks.

Matt.

Nothing has change. Technology has changed very little. The dive table has not changed. The wheel has not changed. Computers have newer algorhytms, but it is not a required piece of equipment to dive, or to pass a test.

PADI no longer require you do to buddy breathing. SSI and PADI do not require you to turn your air back on underwater after the instructor shut it off. They simply turn off the air until you feel the difficulty of breathing, then open it back up for you.

The only change in technology I think is there are some new, expensive second stages with balance breathing, some high flow regulator design, and some with pilot valves.... Nothing that I would call amazing or new. The BC hasn't change, except for stupid doohicky that try to teach dumb people how to inflate and deflate their BC's.

You can dive with gears made in 1997 and no one would know that you are different, and your air consumption is likely the same. If you weren't sooo young when you took your OW training, I would just suggest a refresher course. But since you were just a kid, I think doing a course over is well worth the $250. I really think the $250 is on the low end, if the OW part is included.

Technology has changed

Matt... A lot has changed!!!

Nothing has change. Technology has changed very little. hink the $250 is on the low end, if the OW part is included.

For some reason, I find this series of responses amusing.

Bottom line is that you didn't finish the course, so if you want to dive you need to take the plunge and take the course. From what I understand the bookwork hasn't changed that much (aside from references to newer technology), but the pool and OW portions have been made more gentle to avoid discouraging new divers. You don't have to turn your air back on by yourself - PADI just wants you to be able to recognize what low and out of air feels like. I've also heard that surprise attacks (turning off your air without warning, knocking your mask off, etc.) used to be used occasionally aren't generally used anymore.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom