Looking to move to a full-frame DSLR, total NEWB

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

JohnN

ScubaBoard Sponsor
ScubaBoard Sponsor
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
I'm thinking about moving "up" from a Canon G16 to a full-frame DSLR, and considering an EOS 6d (I'm cheap and certainly don't need the cutting edge).

If I stick with "EF" lenses (no EF-M or EF-S), do I need to worry about a focusing gear if I pick something like a 35-80mm zoom?

I am an experienced photographer and I shoot underwater with a measure of success. I currently use a Nikon D800 full frame DSLR.

I have toyed with moving up to the Nikon D850 over the years. It has more megapixels than the D800 and more importantly better autofocus.

The D850 camera costs something like 3.5 K and the housing costs 5 K. I use a Nauticam housing and I highly recommend it. I considered the Ikelite housing but once you buy camera, lenses, ports, strobes, it is only a bit less expensive than the Nauticam and Nauticam is very good from an ergonomic standpoint and it pretty bombproof and has more precise control than the Ikelite. On top of the housing, you would want 2 strobes coming in at 1 to 2 K, a focus light coming it at .5 K (I am giving approximate figures), and a set of ports and lenses. I primarily use a 24-70 zoom for larger critters and landscape shots. That requires a dome and a port extension (say another K), and I shoot a 60 mm macro for smaller stuff. It can handle large angels down to larger macro subjects and the lens and dome costs another K say 3 K for the 2 lenses and ports, I have a 105 macro (just needs a port extension and a 16-35 wide angle (another port exstension) for wider angle.

The thing is that both Canon and Nikon are bailing out of the DSLR and going mirrorless. Nikon and Canon are kinda new to this game and it will take a couple of years for them to get a full lineup of mirrorless cameras. But I think this is the way to go. I am thinking of buying a Nikon mirrorless when they come out with a camera that is equivalent to the D850 and reputedly that is happening this month (yeah a rumor) and it will be awhile before the camera is developed and the housings are available. Right now the D850 is the best DSLR for underwater photography and is the best that will ever exist. It will eventually get eclipsed by the mirrorless systems.

I do not say this to denigrate Canon. Canon makes superb stuff. Only Nikon and Canon make a full range of cameras and lenses from super telephotos to fisheyes. And their stuff is really high quality.

It might be a year or two before Canon and Nikon have a good mirrorless lineup. It might be best to wait.

Right now Sony has the best mirrorless cameras.

It is also a good thing to go to a dedicated shop for underwater photography. I use Reef Photo and Video which is just a drive away down in Fort Lauderdale. I can go down there and they will even rent me a system to try out on the local reefs. At least I can handle the stuff and see how it works.

I know that Backscatter has an east coast and a west coast shop and I have done business with them and they are very good also. The thing is that the people in these shops know there stuff and they will try to steer you the right way.

Another thing is that the camera, housings and strobes are pretty big and heavy and they end up weighing as much as my scuba gear. Do you really want to fool with this? I do but it takes a bit of a determined nut to do it.

Id personally try and go with a 5dmk3 or 5ds used. The ikelite housing is relatively cheap and easy to find used.
Buy an 8" dome, the 8-15mm fish eye or sigma 15mm fish eye & macro port and 100mmf2.8 lens. Buy all used to keep the price down & definetly get a vacuum valve for the housing and a 45 degree viewfinder if the budget will stretch.
Its a big learning curve but worth it when the shot comes together.

If you don't have anything yet, I would go full frame mirrorless, not a DSLR as they are all going away, like the change from film to digital. They will be available for a while but no new development or updates, so I would find a mirrorless full frame body that meets your needs.

If you don't have anything yet, I would go full frame mirrorless, not a DSLR as they are all going away, like the change from film to digital. They will be available for a while but no new development or updates, so I would find a mirrorless full frame body that meets your needs.
Thanks, but I can find a Canon 6d with a low shutter count for <$500. Like most divers, I'm a cheap bastard at heart

you can but then you are buying lenses that have no future as well. As all the mirrorless systems have new connections. you can buy adapters but then you have another failure point.

Thanks, but I can find a Canon 6d with a low shutter count for <$500. Like most divers, I'm a cheap bastard at heart
The camera is the cheap part. It is the housing that is expensive.
I'd look at people dumping their setup to upgrade. I believe there was a 5DM3 full setup being sold here.
Just note, DSLR setups are a PITA to travel with.

I would try to find a full turn-key used system on wetpixel. If you know you want full frame, either Canon or nikon will do.

If you get a used body and housing, you'll still be buying new FF glass and ports. Not compatible with cheap bastard status :).

Sorry I can't answer your very specific question, but in genuine SB style I'll suggest instead that you consider total cost of ownership before you commit. This goes beyond just the gear to put together a first system.

If you're at ground zero then choosing your first body also commits you to a particular line of lenses. Among current major options, your choice of Canon DSLR vs Nikon DSLR vs Canon ML vs Sony ML vs Fuji ML is the first step down that slippery slope. It's gets more and more expensive to change course as you add that next lens, port, accessory, etc. It's kinda like marriage and divorce. I'd personally never invest in a DSLR housing again, even though I already have the body (about 10) and lenses (about 50). My newest housing is at least 10 years old, even as I added new bodies and lenses, because mirrorless was on the horizon.

Canon does already have some excellent mirrorless, Sony has a wide range (capability and quality) including excellent, and Fuji is no slouch either. But make sure the lenses, housing, ports etc. you want are available - mirrorless is still new enough to have some limited choices.

So I clearly don't think DSLR is the way go, but if you're set on it I might be able to set you up for cheap - just DM me.

There's some interesting commentary and perspectives here. Keep in mind that despite the rise in popularity of mirrorless cameras, DSLR's will be around for a long time.

I don't see movement from DSLR's to mirrorless as the same kind of change as we saw with the movement from film to digital. The change from film to digital resulted in significant reductions in the types of film available and it became extremely difficult to find film developing labs. Digital is digital regardless of whether one shoots a DSLR or mirrorless.

There are some pluses for using a DSLR. There are some good deals to be had on used underwater housings as some photographers move to mirrorless. I postponed purchasing a housing for my Nikon D850 because I thought Nikon would probably introduce a mirrorless camera as good as or better than the D850. After several conversations about mirrorless options with the folks at the local Nikon shop, they recommended I stick with my D850 unless I wanted to spend over 5K on a Nikon Z9. I went ahead and bought a housing for my D850.

A source I use for used, warrantied DSLR bodies and lenses lists excellent condition, low shutter count Canon EOS 6D cameras for around $600.00.

-AZTinman

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom