Looking to relocate -- Diving is a priority

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Great photos Tzetsin

+1 on Philippines, although I have yet to venture far from Luzon with all of my diving so far limited seven trips to Puerto Galera, Maricaban and Anilao.

From what I have experienced is seems like Philippines has decent diving wherever you go off the coast, I can't say the same about Malaysia and I have visited that country more times than I can remember since 1990

I like Malaysia, but if I were looking to retire to SE Asia I would probably consider either Philippines or Thailand first (and both have excellent diving). Diving is important, but so is bacon, and you will struggle to find it in Malaysia.

Malaysia is normally Halal so no pork products but you will find bacon etc in Chinese supermarkets.
It is also almost a first world country so almost everything works, driving is very tame except in KL, etc.
However protection of Malay culture and people is built into the laws of the country. This creates issues when buying property, some business laws, certain saving products etc.
If you only intend to rent then you can live almost anywhere in Malaysia, but some areas will not allow non malays "Bumiputera" to buy in.
These areas tend to be more conservative so quiet, few if any pub's, no disco's etc.
Big towns and areas with large Chinese populations will not be an issue.
If you are looking for beer, wine, etc chinese supremarkets will stock.
To some extent they have discouraged the backpacker tourists going more for the mid to high end market.
Most towns have government run hotels, cheap and good quality but dry, we have used them a number of times for overnight stops.
We have friends who live in Thailand (last 4 years) and they love it. There is political problems but they have little impact outside Bangkok.
Never been to Philipenes, looking forward to it at some point.

No issues in Sabah with pork though, on one of my first visits there with some Kadazan friends (also classed as Bumiputra) we went on a wild pig hunt, shot our dinner and had a plenty of beer to wash it down :D

Made a change from their ancestors who hunted missionaries and had head collections hanging up in their stilted huts :wink:

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom