Looks like tanks are now obsolete!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Science Reality Check: Artificial gills (human) - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

"They are generally thought to be unwieldy and bulky, because of the massive amount of water that would have to be processed to extract enough oxygen to supply an active diver, as an alternative to a scuba set.

As sea water contains 7 ppm oxygen, 1,000,000 kg (1,000 tonnes) of sea water holds 7 kg (1,000 short tons holds 14 lb) of O2, the equivalent of 5,350 litres (1,410 US gal) of oxygen gas at atmospheric pressure.

An average diver with a fully closed-circuit rebreather needs 1 liter (roughly 1 quart) of oxygen per minute. As a result, at least 192 litres (51 US gal) of sea water per minute would have to be passed through the system, and this system would not work in anoxic water.

These calculations are based on the dissolved oxygen content of water."

Who needs the George Washington bridge? You can now just walk from Fort Lee, NJ to NYC. Some drip dry permanent press clothes and you are all set.

Heck, when I was growing up there you could do that in the 60's & 70's. But you walked ON the river, not under it. I heard one time back then it almost burned down.

Bond....James Bond.

1964 Thunderball

Science Reality Check: Artificial gills (human) - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

"They are generally thought to be unwieldy and bulky, because of the massive amount of water that would have to be processed to extract enough oxygen to supply an active diver, as an alternative to a scuba set.

As sea water contains 7 ppm oxygen, 1,000,000 kg (1,000 tonnes) of sea water holds 7 kg (1,000 short tons holds 14 lb) of O2, the equivalent of 5,350 litres (1,410 US gal) of oxygen gas at atmospheric pressure.

An average diver with a fully closed-circuit rebreather needs 1 liter (roughly 1 quart) of oxygen per minute. As a result, at least 192 litres (51 US gal) of sea water per minute would have to be passed through the system, and this system would not work in anoxic water.

These calculations are based on the dissolved oxygen content of water."

And that is based on a 100% efficiency at best you could hope for is 15-20% which whould require about as much a the output of a fire hose

I don't think it will work (as designed). I think the designer is more of a graphic artist than a diver and engineer. Perhaps, some day someone, will build one that works. Until then may I offer this suggestion...:

In an effort to assist in paving the road to enlightenment concerning the “Triton Oxygen Mask” device as presented in this article and how/why it may or may not be plausible/feasible I have assembled a list of publications covering subjects that one might want to have thorough knowledge of if one expects to be successful at designing, constructing and using said device. Note, this is not an all-inclusive list, but it is a beginning, and (after all) every journey starts “at the beginning.”

For an understanding of the science behind design/development/use of a device such as the one proposed…:

General Chemistry
By Ebbing & Gammon
Publisher: Cengage Learning; 10 edition (April 20, 2012)
Language: English
ISBN-10: 1285051378
ISBN-13: 978-1285051376

Organic Chemistry
By Wade
Publisher: Prentice Hall; 8 edition (January 6, 2012)
ISBN-10: 0321768418
ISBN-13: 978-0321768414

Biochemistry, Seventh Edition
By Berg
Publisher: W. H. Freeman; Seventh Edition edition (December 24, 2010)
ISBN-10: 1429229365
ISBN-13: 978-1429229364

Chemical Oceanography, Fourth Edition
By Millero
ISBN-10: 1466512490
ISBN-13: 978-1466512498

For an understanding of the Human Requirements to be considered in design/development/use of a device such as the one proposed…:

Diving Physiology in Plain English
By Jolie Bookspan
Publisher: Undersea & Hyperbaric Med Soc (December 1997)
ISBN-10: 0930406133
ISBN-13: 978-0930406134

Textbook of Hyperbaric Medicine
By K.K. Jain
Publisher: Hogrefe Publishing; 5 Upd Exp edition (April 3, 2009)
ISBN-10: 0889373612
ISBN-13: 978-0889373617

Human Anatomy & Physiology (9th Edition)
Publisher: Pearson; 9 edition (January 16, 2012)
ISBN-10: 0321743261
ISBN-13: 978-0321743268

To understand why Fish use gills to breath and why humans do not use gills…:

Biology of Fishes
By Bone & Moore
ISBN-10: 0415375622
ISBN-13: 978-0415375627

The Physiology of Fishes, Third Edition
Publisher: CRC Press; 3 edition (December 15, 2005)
ISBN-10: 0849320224
ISBN-13: 978-0849320224

For some technical understanding about Mixed-Gas diving requirements…”

IANTD Exploration and Mixed Gas Diving Encyclopedia
Origin: USA
ASIN: B004NFYD5G

International Textbook of Mixed Gas Diving: Theory Technique Application (Diversification)
By Lettnin
Publisher: Best Publishing Co ,U.S.; 1 edition (January 1999)
ISBN-10: 0941332500
ISBN-13: 978-0941332507

Degasification of water (O2 extraction)
http://www.liquicel.com/uploads/doc... Of Water Using Novel Membrane Technology.pdf

More on Degasification of Water
JSTOR: An Error Occurred Setting Your User Cookie

After reading and thoroughly understanding the above recommended subjects, one might have a good enough understanding of the Science behind designing and building the device as proposed in this article.

Beyond having the basic understanding of the science and of hyperbaric physiology, the “inventor” would also need to know something about breathing gas compression and filtration as well as a good handle on mechanical design and fabrication.

Although this is not an exhaustive list of all the knowledge needed, I Hope this information helps to understand the plausibility/feasibility of this “concept” design…

And who knows, maybe someone, some day will put it all together and make it work…

We definitely need at least 5 more threads about this.

seawolfdiving: that was one heck of a first post...... Welcome to SB!!!!!

At least someone should buy it and try it in sea water, a quarry and in a pool to finally say "It works" or not. I think that it can't work.

My buddy brought up a point on this, if you are only sucking o2 out of the water would you not get o2 poising and kill yourself?

My buddy brought up a point on this, if you are only sucking o2 out of the water would you not get o2 poising and kill yourself?

Yup, below ~20ft (13ft if actively swimming) the oxygen would become toxic. What this would be GREAT for would be to either a) Supplement your nitrox or b) be used as a deco "bottle."

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom