Looks Like the formus Might be making a Change LDS With BP/Wings in Central NJ?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

with a Transpac II the the only thing between the tank and my back is some padding and the soft harness. With my BP and STA there is the depth of the groove in the plate and the STA. those valves are about 2 inches(rough guestimate) farther away with the BP and STA.

How could you reach it any better submerged than on the surface??

That's not the point. We help each other here by speaking from experience. Try speaking from yours.

I'm definitely not an expert on NJ stores, but I seem to get around. I'm from VA, but used to commute up to VF/KoP for work. My girlfriend's sister lives near AC. So here are some shops I found interesting enough to keep in my PDA. MIght be a little far for you, but probably closer than DC/VA. ;-)

If you don't mind a short drive, try Lancaster Scuba (717-397-2822). They are a Halcyon dealer, but don't carry much stuff. They probably have enough to let you see the gear before ordering. Only one or two folks who knew about Halcyon stuff at the store though. I picked up my Pioneer wing and tank straps from them.

Northeast Scuba Supply (610-631-2388) is a little past Valley Forge / King of Prussia. They have a good selection of BP and wings. Definitely one of the better stores geared towards technical equipment. Lots of Dive-Rite, AUL, OMS and now Halcyon gear. Found a good deal on a OMS wing there.

I came across a store in Linwood off Rt. 9 (sorry forgot the name something like East Coast Dive Supply), that had spring straps... which were really hard to come by back then. They might have some tech stuff... didn't see any Halcyon stuff though. Owner seemed nice, might lead you in the right direction.

Surprised that there aren't that many Halcyon dealers up in Jersey given that the diving up there is primarily wrecks. OMS seems to be pretty big up there.

Good luck.

Can we get back to the main topic?
Is it worth getting such gear if no shop here knows anything about it?
Secondly is my experiance with the Ldss typical?

Thanks for bringing the main topic back.

I think NE Scuba is the closest at probably an hr and a quarter away.
Still not sure its worth the drag

Originally posted by divernva
I'm definitely not an expert on NJ stores, but I seem to get around. I'm from VA, but used to commute up to VF/KoP for work. My girlfriend's sister lives near AC. So here are some shops I found interesting enough to keep in my PDA. MIght be a little far for you, but probably closer than DC/VA. ;-)

If you don't mind a short drive, try Lancaster Scuba (717-397-2822). They are a Halcyon dealer, but don't carry much stuff. They probably have enough to let you see the gear before ordering. Only one or two folks who knew about Halcyon stuff at the store though. I picked up my Pioneer wing and tank straps from them.

Northeast Scuba Supply (610-631-2388) is a little past Valley Forge / King of Prussia. They have a good selection of BP and wings. Definitely one of the better stores geared towards technical equipment. Lots of Dive-Rite, AUL, OMS and now Halcyon gear. Found a good deal on a OMS wing there.

I came across a store in Linwood off Rt. 9 (sorry forgot the name something like East Coast Dive Supply), that had spring straps... which were really hard to come by back then. They might have some tech stuff... didn't see any Halcyon stuff though. Owner seemed nice, might lead you in the right direction.

Surprised that there aren't that many Halcyon dealers up in Jersey given that the diving up there is primarily wrecks. OMS seems to be pretty big up there.

Good luck.

sorry, was trying to hook you up with an LDS when we got sidetracked.

A BP and wings will work whether your LDS is familiar with it or not. All that needs replacing is the harness stapping after a few years. Wings should last a long time with care.

Is your experience typical, I think so, LDS's want to sell the latest greatest stuff. and it'll be different again in a couple of years. A BP and wings doesn't need replacing. It's always gonna work. They do better bussiness selling BC's.

Good luck,

Originally posted by Tavi
sorry, was trying to hook you up with an LDS when we got sidetracked.

A BP and wings will work whether your LDS is familiar with it or not. All that needs replacing is the harness stapping after a few years. Wings should last a long time with care.

Is your experience typical, I think so, LDS's want to sell the latest greatest stuff. and it'll be different again in a couple of years. A BP and wings doesn't need replacing. It's always gonna work. They do better bussiness selling BC's.

Good luck,

Question if I buy it far away will the LDS be scared to train me with it?
I don,t want to train so far from home and the coast.
Based on my conversations with them they might freak out when seeing it and not want to train me with it

I like the Idea of training with rental gear and then going to look at the bp/w setup. I guess it makes sense that I will be able to make a more educated purchase having been trained and then testing out the PB/W.
Thanks Tavi

"That's not the point. We help each other here by speaking from experience. Try speaking from yours."

Yea,
Well MY experience when the OMS dealer (who, by the way, HIMSELF who informed me he disliked HIS own IQ, and he sells them himself) and WHY he disliked his, which bring us to point two of our discussion...he brings in the LDS in person to SHOW me exactly what he was talking about.

Tavi, you don't think the IQ with all its padding isn't any thicker than your BP even with its curve in it? You forget that part of the 'curve' is absorbed by the fact that it curves INTO your spine, and that curve isn't a hindrance as much as you make it sound.

Hmm, let me see if I can get HIM to join us in our little discussion here as well. JB, you going to join us in our inherent discussion on OMS - so our Pro-OMS folks can hear what you yourself has to say on this?

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom