Losing fin, is it common and how can I prevent it from happening again!!!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I once did a dive in a pair of very old fins I had as backup to my backup. As I was entering the water, feather boa kelp (Egregia) wrapped around both of my fins and yanked them off. I had to laugh. Fortunately it was daytime and they were easy to spot and retrieve.

Maybe u put a luminous tab on your fin. So at least u lose it. U can find it.

Another way is to get a big carabinier and hook the fins through hook on your BCD d ring. Free up your hands to wear the mask and reg. Then slow one by one put on your fins
I like the big carabinier idea.

I once did a dive in a pair of very old fins I had as backup to my backup. As I was entering the water, feather boa kelp (Egregia) wrapped around both of my fins and yanked them off. I had to laugh. Fortunately it was daytime and they were easy to spot and retrieve.

I swear I'm more afraid of feather boa kelp than sharks. That stuff is a royal pita, although it has not been that bad to me ... yet.

I have only lost one fin, it was fairly new, the post that the strap attached to broke off, the fin disappeared in the surge, I was free diving and it damn near killed me as I was kicking out of a hole. I sent the mate back to the manufacturer and told them where to shove it and how.

My trick is to hold onto my fins like my life depended on it, because it may. I have had the surf take one a couple of times but I found them. I've also found a number of singles I passed on to others, and my spare jet fins are two found singles.

Bob
--------------------
I may be old, but I'm not dead yet.

Maybe u put a luminous tab on your fin. So at least u lose it. U can find it.

Another way is to get a big carabinier and hook the fins through hook on your BCD d ring. Free up your hands to wear the mask and reg. Then slow one by one put on your fins
I keep one fin clipped to a snap bolt on my BC, and the other held in my hand. My mask and reg on on, so I have two hands dedicated to donning each fin. When you hold the fin it must be held by a strap with your hand grasping the strap.

hi z gear i have a quick and easy solution your local dive shop should sell gear keepers they attach to your bcd and then you can run it through your fins and snap it back together so you do not lose them i have one and it beats carrying alot of equipment in my hands its easy to get access to them when you are ready to use your fins works well with you mask to

hi z gear i have a quick and easy solution your local dive shop should sell gear keepers they attach to your bcd and then you can run it through your fins and snap it back together so you do not lose them i have one and it beats carrying alot of equipment in my hands its easy to get access to them when you are ready to use your fins works well with you mask to

I will look into the gear keeper or a large carabiner, thanks to everyone for the tips. I need to get this before my next dive, especially the night dives, its way to easy to lose things in the dark.

Back
Top Bottom