Lost Confidence in diving

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Aftershock109, glad to hear the good news. Keep at it in a prudent matter and it will work out ok I bet. :thumb:

Last edited by a moderator:
To the OP. I'd like to recommend a a DVD on guided imagery that helped me a great deal with PTSD. It's very relaxing and highly effective. It was tested with vietnam domestic violence victims. It's a CD by Belle Ruth Naperstak. You can just google her name to order it. Best little bit of money I spent on recovery. I put it on my iPod from iTunes and listened to it every night for about a year.

To the DM candidate with the free- flow panic sitch...

As a claustrophobic diver myself- I can give you this bit of a boost. The very first time I had to dive with a hood on- I panicked. I mean full on freak out- couldn't get out of the water fast enough. I hate planes, my sister can't fly and my aunt can't wear panty hose- I come by this honestly... runs in the fam.

The DM for my OW class told me "diving isn't for everyone". She meant to be reassuring and just ended up making me mad... I had been raised on the water- I was in boats before I could walk- I was on a swim team in high school- no way was this going to end it for me…

I trained in a hood after that- they laughingly called me the "ninja" in class- but I made it through- and then through AOW, and Rescue and recently all the way through DM.

The guys that did my last cert knew that I was a claustrophobe- (and to this day- I positively refuse to try Cave- it is just too much for me- I have done Cavern- that wasn't easy...) what I was getting at was- they beat the hell out of me. They snuck up and turned off my air, they ripped regs out of my mouth- trying to simulate panicked rescue situations- ripped off masks, fins- they probably would have tried to rip me out of my suit if they thought I wouldn't later hunt them down and kill them....

If I was going to panic they wanted it to happen when I was with them- and I admit, in the beginning they got me to the edge a few times- when you have someone wrapped around your body from behind, who has ripped out your reg- is wacking you over the head- and you are claustrophobic- hey cut me some slack... and I did it with a hood on to boot...

My point is, if you want it badly enough- you can work through it. The important thing in any situation is- stop and THINK first. I have procedures that allow me the time to get situated in the water before I go out with students. I still have moments at depth now and then- I stop- give my buddy “the hand”- I close my eyes- and repeat… I've done this a million times, I have plenty of air, this is my favorite thing in the world… I know I can do this- and then I open them.

I KNOW I can do this. The guys did give me that - so thanks guys! Oh and P- when I hit you in the crotch that one time in the lake- I swear it really was an accident....

So THREE different regulators went into freeflow on this dive? Yikes! Sounds like some regs need adjusting, or folks have the wrong regs for the conditions.

I've been in one major freeflow incident, and it was very disorienting and stressful to be surrounded by bubbles, so I couldn't see, and subjected to the incredible NOISE. You had three divers tied together (always a bad idea) with all three of you free-flowing -- that had to have been pure chaos. Still, especially as a dive professional, it's your job to stay calm and THINK; as stated, the appropriate action would have been, once your reg freeflowed as well, to thumb the dive and make an expeditious ascent. You only have about 90 seconds of gas, once a full free-flow is in progress, so things have to be handled efficiently.

Did you debrief this situation with the instructor who was leading the class? What did HE do when his reg freeflowed?

As far as regaining confidence, I think it's like anything else. Start back with something that's absolutely non-challenging -- even pool time, if you can get it. Very gradually add complexity (depth, viz, etc.) as your confidence allows.

My thoughts precisely. Everyone going into free flow at once - that's just a really really bad day. And yes, I know that two divers breathing of a reg makes it more likely.

First - top job to the OP. I don't think too many people have faced your situation. You and your buddies acquitted yourselves very well indeed.

Secondly, to the wider board (and maybe this should be split out - happy to do so if enough interest) - what strategies do you employ to shut down free flows? I've only ever had them shallow and a good talking to normally resolves the problem. But it sounds like there are more difficult free flows to manage - what are the best strategies to manage them???

Thanks - and well done again OP, for your initial management of the situation and your courage getting back in the saddle. Nice one.

John

p.s. (I'm from Dublin :))

I hate to harp on the regs, but it sounds like the IP is set too high... especially on the LX Supremes, I dive that regulator under ice, and have shared air with it under ice with no free flow issues, check the IP on the regs, or the gauge that checked them when they were serviced. I am glad your dives went well, continue to plan less stressful dives, dive your plan and then start adding minor challenges in the way of depth, viz, current etc.
It does sound like you are heading in the right direction.

Listen folks thanks all again for all your positive responses and fantastic advise its really helped me back in the water and allows me to relax a bit more because i dont want to give up diving its the best sport ever !!! And i have to say sitting back and looking at the broader picture its nice to start diving for myself and just enjoy it and gain experience :)

another thing you can do for a greater peace of mind is to carry a sufficient pony bottle with an extra reg. I dive in the Pacific North West, and here serious divers all have one, like if it was part of the basic set-up.
If you all had one, the emergency would be most likely averted... :)

I don't think a pony bottle is a requirement for being a serious diver. Knowing gas management is more important.

Being a serious diver is more about skills than gadgets.

Back
Top Bottom