Lost Diver in Cozumel, Mexico, February 2016

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Lastly, they only found her skull. What else in the waters there is capable of separating a head from the rest of the body?

You'd be amazed at how quickly things disappear in the ocean, especially warm water. Quoted from the video linked below, "In just a few days the carcass was entirely skeletonized and the amphipods lost interest and left."

This is 300m in very cold water, imagine in a more active environment.

Okay, I did not need to watch that, but I did, that was nasty

maybe if they put the benny hill sound track with it, it would be easier to watch

The second you tube was way better than the first.

The statement that the deceased was experienced is questionable. How many dives? How long since her last dive? Was the equipment hers or rented.

First dive of the trip or not?

An experienced diver should have been able to handle a descent or surface to fix the problem or just abort the dive.

Using this aspect to justify a shark attack doesn't seem to have a strong basis of being valid.

Using this aspect to justify a shark attack doesn't seem to have a strong basis of being valid.

I'm not justifying a shark attack I'm just saying it's a possibility as there has been 3 shark attacks at that site in the past 23 years. When trying to determine what happened in an investigation, the typical method used by investigators is to explore all possibilities and then slowly dismiss outcomes that can be proven impossible. As such, I'm simply adding a possible outcome that hadn't previously been mentioned. I'm still waiting to hear what others may think is a possible outcome for a diver to go missing and have remains show up just offshore from a popular hotel all while search and rescue didn't spot a thing over 4 days. Seems to me that if she reached the surface conscious she likely would have been spotted at some point, especially considering she was clearly not swept out to sea.

The word "shark" somehow seems to stir everyone up for some reason. If I said there has been 3 divers killed by boat propellers at that site in the past 23 years I'd imagine everyone would be quick to agree that it was a possibility.

Well tiger sharks are rare all over the world, and basically super rare in Cozumel, are there any there? Possible, if they are where? Likely outside the dive sites as there is so much diving activity that anything that is there even rarely there ends up getting spotted sooner or later.

If marine life ate her down to bones it's likely that the body didn't float after the death but sank to the bottom, dead bodies bloat and float so her weights would have had to over compensated for the bloat. Likely she was well weighted or over weighted, had either a medical incident that resulted in her drowning and sinking, or a tragic series of events with equipment that overcame her and drowned her and she sank. Where the body or parts ended up could be anywhere within miles of the incident due to the currents, Cozumel is a drift diving area so the water is always moving. Her head being removed is pretty plausible since a diver in a wet suit has a wet suit that is holding the main parts of the body together, the hands, feet and head are exposed.

What I'm saying could have nothing to do with reality, but when there is a dive accident it's usually more mundane and simple than dramatic like a shark attacking a diver on the surface which is extremely rare to the point of statistically an anomaly. Did a shark of some sort have something to do with dismembering her dead body? That's much more likely, but who knows. I'd personally look to something much less rare and dramatic and at things that are more likely to have happened. The amount of live divers attacked and killed by sharks is pretty tiny.

Was an underwater search conducted and of sufficient coverage to likely have found the diver within a day or so?

Back
Top Bottom