Lost logbook

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Lims

Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
hello, I just became a padi rescue diver.

I am thinking of doing some kind of divemaster/instructor placement in a different country, internship kind of thing, but its just thoughts at the moment.

I have lost my logbook, i think I had at least 20 dives logged.

Do you think i should just get a new one and start logging again, bit of a lame question, of course I should, but has anyone else ever lost their logbook? it's so annoying!!

sam

hello, I just became a padi rescue diver.

I am thinking of doing some kind of divemaster/instructor placement in a different country, internship kind of thing, but its just thoughts at the moment.

I have lost my logbook, i think I had at least 20 dives logged.

Do you think i should just get a new one and start logging again, bit of a lame question, of course I should, but has anyone else ever lost their logbook? it's so annoying!!

sam

Just start a new book. Various agencies require a minimum number of dives before you can begin DM or Instructor training. Some are very low. However regardless of the minimum number of dives the agency requires, I'd recommend waiting until you have at least a couple of hundred dives, which makes your 20 "lost" dives not too significant. You can just start the new book at "20".

Without trying to be insulting, a DM with 80 dives isn't going to be especially useful.

Terry

Last edited:
From my own experience, the logbook serves three real functions, in order of importance:

1) record of diving conditions and results.
This allows me to kept track of what gear I used under what conditions and how it worked for me.

2) record of memories.
This allows me to keep track of significant events during dives, such as sighting “firsts”.

3) a log of my diving activities.
This provides a quick check of when and where I have dived and my last dives.

It’s worth keeping the log and worth starting one again. I have never been asked for my logbook by others, though.

As far as going for the DM; go when you’re ready. Although most agencies have a minimum, such criteria, unfortunately, are best guesses of when a perceived majority will reach some milestone.

I know DMs with hundreds of dives who are pretty useless. I know DMs who started programs with not many more than the minimum dives who are great DMs. It depends upon the diver and it depends upon the variety of dive experience. 500 dives at the same lake isn’t going to be worth nearly as much experience-wise as 100 dives in a variety of conditions in both fresh and salt; cold, temperate and warm, shore and boat, etc.

Find a good local DM instructor who others regard well and discuss it with them.

If you have a computer, it should have the record of dives in the logbook or history? If not your buddy should have the nec info.

Talk to your instructor(s)!

They should be willing to sign off on 4 OW dives, 5 AOW dives and 4 Rescue dives => 13 of your 20 dives. It shouldn't be too hard to figure out the dates. Having these signed by an instructor can be important later on.

You dive buddies (if not insta-buddies) should have a record of the other dives and be willing to sign off on them.

You really want to keep your log book up to date. Not only will it be important for DM but you never know when you will want to change agencies and the will very probably want to look at your training.

Richard

If you have a computer, it should have the record of dives in the logbook or history? If not your buddy should have the nec info.

Great reminder...

If you can get it from your computer start a new logbook... even if you can't, you can certainly reconstruct some of your book from memory. With only 20 dives, I'm sure you can remember much of what you've done.

While in most places log books serve primarily as memories of your dives... there are reasons to keep one.

1. If you're trying to advance to other cert levels, you will need a clear and accurate record... such as your desire to become a DM

2. There are some places you may dive that require them or at minimum want to see them before letting you in the water. If you don't have one, they may make you take a refresher before allowing you to dive. I've only seen this in two places... but you never know when it might pop up.

In any event, I agree with the previous poster who noted you should dive a lot more before becoming a DM. My suggestion is at least 100 dives in a wide variety of locations. We've got enough DM's out there who've never dove outside of a quarry or other local dive site. They are ill pre-pared for leading dives and trips in the real world. Besides... just take some time to enjoy yourself first before making more work for yourself.

In any event - Merry Christmas and Happy Diving!

About the log book - That is unfortunate. However, you should be able to recreate and move on.

Some unsolicited advice from a young professional that was in your position not long ago: I did my 73rd dive as an employed DM. At that point in my life, I was 100% ready to become an instructor... No, THE instructor :-D I made great tips, and in my mind that translated to me being a good mate, and therefore a great instructor candidate.

Around dive 100 it began to dawn on me that I was hardly even ready to be a rescue diver. I actually retook rescue. Now, with dives in the 4 digits and counting, and over half of my life in the water, I feel that I'm competent enough to say that I'm finally learning about diving. I would imagine the old farts would back me up on that feeling.

Having said that, by no means am I discouraging a diver from going pro early. I would find an instructor that can mentor you. Get as much (informal as well as formal) training as you can. Go ahead with your DM cert. See if you can work as a 2nd mate on a local boat for a while, and help with logistics for an instructor. The only way to start learning is to have your feet in the fire.

Good luck!

If you plan on going for DM and above you will need a record of the number of dives you do. best bet is to keep an online record, with or without a computer that syncs up to software on your desktop.

If you do not plan on going pro, then the requirement fades, and you are free to keep a logbook if you like, or not.

I prefer a paper log, but I am also considering online logging as well.

Anyway, lots of good advice on the purpose of logs and even some great advice about going pro above, good luck!

thanks everyone,
I'm gonna re-fill in the dives.

as for becoming a DM, there's a lot to consider, I appreciate that.

I have a good instructor locally, but I also want to get out into the wide world, wake up early every day and dive/work all day every day, intensive, maybe do an internship somewhere hot, before i start a degree back in newcastle england.

I am seriously considering doing a marine biology degree, which i am studying towards until the summer, but also toying with film and photography, I am kind of unsure of which route I want/should take; conservation/research/art/journalsim, all of them, I don't know. I just want to dive and take photos and learn.

I am 24.

My real goal is to become a very able experienced diver so I can be relatively independent and pursue/work with underwater photography/videography projects.

I have been told working as an instructor/DM on boats etc is the best way forward to build up knowledge and experience.

anyway,, I'm a young wippersnapper who needs telling how it is..

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom