Love this side mount alternative

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Hey Carrie

Thats exactly what I was doing the other week in Cayman. Enter/exit the water with just the left tank. Gives me a bungeed reg and a wing inflator,both of which are kind of useful. With just the one tank its pretty easy to support most of the weight with the left arm while using the right arm for climbing ladders.

Hey Carrie

Thats exactly what I was doing the other week in Cayman. Enter/exit the water with just the left tank. Gives me a bungeed reg and a wing inflator,both of which are kind of useful. With just the one tank its pretty easy to support most of the weight with the left arm while using the right arm for climbing ladders.

Ian,
Have you had any issues just stepping off the boat with all your tanks attached?

Ian,
Have you had any issues just stepping off the boat with all your tanks attached?

No,although this guy sure did :D :D
YouTube - Jeff Cornish - Top Technical Diver

Just seems easier and safer to put them on in the water. The gate on the Giant Stride is on the narrow side.With sidemount tanks you need to turn sideways to get through,prefer not to risk getting hung up on something.

Just seems easier and safer to put them on in the water. The gate on the Giant Stride is on the narrow side.With sidemount tanks you need to turn sideways to get through,prefer not to risk getting hung up on something.

I would like to try both tomorow night. If there are pretty good waves or strong current I would think stepping off the boat with all tanks might be a better option.

Thanks for your honesty, can I ask why you decided to take a sidemount instructor course?

can I ask why you decided to take a sidemount instructor course?
Interesting question, which doesn’t lend itself to an altogether straightforward answer.

I started SM as a DIYer – I saw SM at Forty Fathom in FL several years ago, talked with Jeff Loflin a lot about it over several months, and was intrigued – here was a way of diving doubles that was physically easier than BM. (In fact, my interest was spurred in part by the fact, as I recall it, that I had just walked my double HP 120s all the way up the old steep, rickety steps at Forty, and ran into Jeff at the top, who asked why I was huffing and puffing so much.) So, my original focus in SM was technical – we do a reasonable amount of tech training in the shop and SM appeared to be a useful adjunct to that program. And, since I suffer from a bit of a ‘gearhead’ mentality anyway, I was intrigued. I learned that it was more than a matter of simply gearing up in BP/W, without BM tanks, and strapping on a couple of deco bottles, even though I did that along the way. I got my dive buddy interested, and we bought Nomads to ‘play’ with. That actually started me thinking about the value of SM for OW ‘recreational’ divers, as a transition from singles to doubles, that might be easier than going BM. We have a few people (including some OW instructors) who might like to pursue tech but don’t want to hassle with BM doubles (and a number of other recreational divers who might want to, but never consider it because BM doubles ‘look’ awkward to them). We asked Jeff a lot of questions over time, and he finally said, ‘You’re an instructor. Come down and do the SM instructor course.‘ Basically, that would help us learn the techniques that Jeff teaches to new SM divers, and give us some skills we could then pass on to other divers. It made sense. So, we did the Instructor course to both refine our own techniques and learn how to share the experience with others (probably the closest answer to your question). Since then, several other instructors in the shop have acquired Nomads, and are developing their techniques, but haven’t developed an interest in teaching SM to OW divers. My buddy and I did the Instructor course in January and anticipate finally teaching a formal ‘course’ late this summer, as we continue to practice techniques and gear configurations so that we are comfortable before we move forward. (In fact, we are doing another in-water SM demo session as part of our scuba club cook-out this weekend.)

Even then, it is one thing to dive / teach SM in quarry conditions, with a simple shore entry, and another to do it off a boat, in current, etc. We do a lot of coastal wreck diving in NC, so my interest has gradually evolved to using SM for open ocean diving. And, it is still a learning process.

Sideways was not an option. My inside fin would not have made it out the gate. Putting the tanks on in the boat was a PITA. I ended up dropping in backwards and it worked well.

Attachments

• getting off.jpg
    getting off.jpg
    403.4 KB · Views: 120
Even then, it is one thing to dive / teach SM in quarry conditions, with a simple shore entry, and another to do it off a boat, in current, etc. We do a lot of coastal wreck diving in NC, so my interest has gradually evolved to using SM for open ocean diving. And, it is still a learning process.

Nothing personal... but you took a SM Instructor course, to learn what Jeff Loflin teaches new SM students, and how to teach those same skills; without any practical experience under your belt?

Your kind of watering down the market and making it difficult for people to find appropriate SM training don't you think?

Would you have taken the SM Instructor course, from Jeff or anyone else, had they just learned to SM?

I wouldn't take a Cavern class, from a brand new Cave Diver.

I would just encourage you to dive sidemount for considerably longer, before teaching it to others.

Sideways was not an option. My inside fin would not have made it out the gate. Putting the tanks on in the boat was a PITA. I ended up dropping in backwards and it worked well.

For that type of boat, clip the tanks off to a line over the side and clip them off in the water... Doesn't work so well in offshore conditions, but in calm waters...

Pontoon boats are great, definately the preffered dive platform in placid waters for cave diving in areas that allow their size. Edd Sorenson rents three of them out on the Mill Pond.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom