Love Your Job? Tell Me About It!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Quarrior

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
Hi All,

As a holiday season present my employer offered me the opportunity to find a new source of income, better known as a RIF. Anyway, I've been doing the same work for 20 years and frankly, I'm burned out on it. So, I'm looking at finding a new field to work in.

Other than those working as Dive Instructors, DMs or in diving fields that require years of specilized experience and/or a specialized degree. What kind of work do you that you love to do? Tell me about it in some detail if you don't mind. I'm looking for ideas of fields to research.

If you don't want to give details here, feel free to PM me.

Brian

Yeah, I love my job.... 27 years in a tire factory, humping it on the night shift, 2 1/2 years short of retirement, and as of 12/19 they are closing up shop while saying, "don't let the door hit you in the a__ on the way out", and trying to screw us out of our benefits at the same time. Yeah, I LOVE MY JOB.

JOB - Just Over Broke, start your own thing, why work for some other A@#$.

If you don't mind my asking, what are your current qualifications and experience. I ask because it will make it easier to suggest something that won't require extensive retraining.

If you have an engineering, math or science degree, I'd suggest patent agent. Depending on where you are working, you get to see some fairly cool inventions. Even better, you don't need to go to law school. Best of all, it can be a license to print money (I'm not one, but I work with them).

Sure can relate to that. Over four years ago I experienced something very similar. Living on Catalina Island there were few job opportunities for a person with my training. I decided to retire early... at least until the money runs out. Might as well dive, travel and have fun now while I'm healthy... and work later when I'm a bit slower physically.

It may be a good time to (as mythologist Joseph Campbell said) "follow your bliss." What is YOUR dream job? If you don't have a family to support, can you give it a try for a while? When you do what you love, you succeed more often (unless mattress testing is your greatest love).

Dr. Bill

One of my potential dream jobs might be working for the forestry service/state park kind of stuff, of course diving might be nice as well. My currently job, whilst i have been doing it for almost a decade (including school for it) pays the bills, stimulates me at times and my company is paying for my green card - there is no saying i will stay an engineer for the rest of my life, i wouldnt mind something with travel, exploration, the outdoors, that kind of thing :wink:

I'm in the midst of changing careers myself. I've done tech for nearly a decade and unlike back when I started these "HR" people think certs mean something. Mostly what it means is that the college or local tech "school" took your $100 for a test, but it doesnt necessarily mean you understand the square block doesn't go in the round hole. Tech is also unbelievably slow around here since the hurricanes, so I'm taking this clue to not waste 2k on certs that are extinct in a year or less and I'm changing careers totally.

I've not ironed it out totally, but its going to mean being able to be outside more, behind a computer less, and allow me to make time for my family when its convenient for me, not some no-personality company. No harm in thinking about that for yourself... no sense working yourself to death for someone else :D

I get to travel a lot, blow things up and get paid silly amounts of money to do it. Do you like to work outside? I have an idea for ya! PM me. I;ll tell you all about the world of UXO.

I started a new job about 1 1/2 years ago. The money isn't nearly as good as my old job, but I can still feed my family and send my daughter to school. I *needed* to invest in a whole bunch of specialized equipment (DPV/Rebreather) for my new vocation and it required me to sell my house and relocate. Yah know, I love my new job as a dive guide, the hours are longer and as I mentioned already the pay isn't that great, but I sure am having fun and am getting to meet some very interesting people.

Dennis

Back
Top Bottom