Low budget light review: Dorcy II 220 vs Intova 4.7W Wide vs UK SL4 eLED

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

That's one of the many reasons I went with the mbsub lights, they use a ROTATING magnetic activation mechanism, NOT a sliding-switch so that it doesn't risk rubbing against webbing and self-activating.

I also did not buy the Dorcy lights because I didn't like the idea of six batteries in a tray. I've finally ended up with two used Gulftex lights, from a good guy on this board, that I'm pretty pleased with. I actually like that they're kind of fat. I really did not appreciate at all the petite size of the Intova and, as you mentioned, the switch sucks and the rubber band "fix" was not very good (might have been the fixER, but I didn't want lights that I had to **** with at all).

I also did not buy the Dorcy lights because I didn't like the idea of six batteries in a tray. I've finally ended up with two used Gulftex lights, from a good guy on this board, that I'm pretty pleased with. I actually like that they're kind of fat. I really did not appreciate at all the petite size of the Intova and, as you mentioned, the switch sucks and the rubber band "fix" was not very good (might have been the fixER, but I didn't want lights that I had to **** with at all).

The battery tray idea is actually a good one as it makes it easier to load the batteries. Still I'd rather a light used AA cells instead of AAA as the larger cells hold more energy and are more robust.

Also there is an Aquatec light that uses the same battery tray as the Dorcy.

Adam

scubafanatic, where are you seeing $200 for the LED module? From Halcyon?

We bought the UK SL4 eLED lights for something like $69, pulled the LED modules out of them to use in the Scouts, and put the Xenon bulbs in the SL4s to use as household flashlights.

I also did not buy the Dorcy lights because I didn't like the idea of six batteries in a tray.

It'll work on three.

We bought the UK SL4 eLED lights for something like $69, pulled the LED modules out of them to use in the Scouts, and put the Xenon bulbs in the SL4s to use as household flashlights.

The list price for a new 3-C cell Scout @ Halcyon = $ 200, and the list price for just the module = $ 140...and Halcyon isn't really discounted, if I order from my LDS they'll give me a 10% discount, then I'll pay local sales tax of about 8%, making the 'discount' essentially a wash.

Just get the drop in mods from DealExtreme. CHEAP, easy to install and really bright. Also, someone is selling them on the Board ready to go for $40 or so.

Guess I've just been lucky with the switches, no problems at all.

If you believe the specs, the Dorcy has more light than the bigger UK SL4 eLED. And if that's the case it means the LED of the UK light is less efficient and dated.

Adam

I now have the two Dorcy lights and two SL4 lights with the drop in R2 R5 and P7.

Honestly, The Dorcy 220lm is very similar to the R2 drop in. The R5 drop in has a bigger hotspot and is listed at 320lm but it doesn't seem to shine as par as the Dorcy or the R2. It was mentioned earlier that the Dorcy has a black spot in the middle of the beam. It does but only if you shine it a few inches away. Anything more than that the black spot disappears. The P7 is very very bright but it it a wide beam and more of a flood. It will light up an entire area of reef or cave but not much for signaling or penetrating.

You can buy the drop ins on this board. I'd recommend all of them. The R2 for signaling and the R5 for all around performance and the P7 to illuminate a large area. I'll probably dive with the Dorcy and P7 as the Dorcy fits into my light sock and the P7 for obvious reasons.

If you believe the specs, the Dorcy has more light than the bigger UK SL4 eLED. And if that's the case it means the LED of the UK light is less efficient and dated.

Adam

Yes, the R2 drop in is brighter than the UK eLED

Back
Top Bottom