Low(er) Cost HID lights

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Newhampster

Contributor
Reaction score
High Intensity Discharge (HID) lights.

Check out, for example, http://www.solarc.net.

New HID based lights are appearing.

I'm looking for any advice, comments, discussion about these lights.

I'm thinking of looking seriously at these as light sources for photography (underwater, naturally).

I haven't found a discussion of these devices on these boards (my apologies if one exists ... please point me there).

Thanks,

I saw the UK (???) version of this, The Light Cannon, and they look great! I like it all self contained for my ocean dives.

:tease:

I Borrowed a Light Cannon 100 for a wreck dive. (didn't go in just looked). We had multiple lights and we each took turns shinning our lights into a particular hatch. The Light Cannon seemed to be brighter and stronger than a Shock Wave and the Sunlight C8 the other divers had. Don't accept this as gospel, because as a new diver I was amazed and awed. I also find it hard to compare when you have two different colors of light. We didn't take into consideration the passing clouds, angles or anything scientific. We just had fun. When I can scrape together the bucks, I'll own one. Even if the replacement bulb cost $40.

Having seen a HID light in action (darn thing was like a lightsabre!), I'm glad to see more manufacturers coming online to supply them to the diving community. Hopefully enough models will be available soon so that the prices will drop toward reality and affordability.

Craig...

You might also look at the cannister light systems such as the ones from Dive-Rite and Nite Rider. While you will need to scrape your dollars longer, cannister lights are the best choice for technical diving such as wrecks and caverns/caves. The main advantage is that they take the weight of the power cell and put it on your BC or weight belt.

Also some versions also have accessories that will allow you to attach the light head to either a headband, scooter, or your reel.

Has anybody seen a price list on those other HID lights. I have used a Light Cannon as well, and it is the most incredible light that I have ever seen (in a handheld at least). The drawback is the cost, and they tend to get backordered through UK for a long time. We waited three months for our second shipment.

Don't forget about AUL for a canister light. I have their 10w HID. It's tough, bright, & to be totally unobjective... way cool!!!

-kate

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom