Low/Limited Visibility Distinctive PADI course.

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I used to teach "no vis" course in the Long Island sound in NY, you can't see your dive lights light at an arms length u/w in the middle of the day. Had to stop teaching it because most students just got creeped out and scared to continue. The worst part was that you didn't know if you are still swimming in water or actually sunk in the mud.

Buy yourself a wrist-mounted compass. Count kick-cycles per minute and turn from North to East to South to West to outline a square pattern. Kick up the sand behind you. Congratulations you are now a low visibility diver.

I am curious to know what are the skills focused for such a course.
I should give you a slightly better idea of PSD no-viz diving. The diver is the dope on the rope. All he/she does is to conduct a proper LOCAL search pattern before moving to the next spot as directed by the tender (on the surface). The diver in zero viz is always on a line. It is actually quite comfortable. You do your search and move to where your line is tight again and continue. You communicate back and forth via line pulls. The tender is directing the search, you are just the hands in the mud.

Buy yourself a wrist-mounted compass. Count kick-cycles per minute and turn from North to East to South to West to outline a square pattern. Kick up the sand behind you. Congratulations you are now a low visibility diver.
This has no value whatsoever to issue discussed by the OP. You're just twisting some cliches in addition to being totally wrong. You're misleading the OP.

Hi,
I have never heard of such a training, but can understand the possible benefits to divers who are used to 100' visibility. With such divers, suddenly finding yourself in <1' visibility could cause disorientation, panic and/or claustrophia-like symptoms, especially if you add other stress factors (buouyancy issues, strong current, etc).

Being someone who regulary dives in Holland, the scenario described above is not fun, but happens occasionally.

Might be an interesting class for you to take, also to experience a controlled silt-out.

Hi,
I have never heard of such a training, but can understand the possible benefits to divers who are used to 100' visibility. With such divers, suddenly finding yourself in <1' visibility could cause disorientation, panic and/or claustrophia-like symptoms, especially if you add other stress factors (buouyancy issues, strong current, etc).

Being someone who regulary dives in Holland, the scenario described above is not fun, but happens occasionally.

Might be an interesting class for you to take, also to experience a controlled silt-out.
You mean you sometimes have 100ft visibility?!? That would be very odd.

First time I dived on a wreck with great visibility it was really off-putting -- the wreck was massive. I'd never seen a wreck in good conditions before then!

Haha, not in Holland I don't, but in warmer climes it does get good. I've seen some small wrecks in good vis conditions but diving the Hermegildo Capelo in Portugal was more imoressive due to limited vis 20-30'. You slowly see a black shape looming below you that just gets bigger and bigger. Very eery and cool.

Maybe find your local quary that has “typical” 15 foot vis?

Maybe find your local quary that has “typical” 15 foot vis?
This guy lives in New England. 15 foot is a great day for us, lol.

Back
Top Bottom