Low vis lake diving

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

With 275 of my current 400 or so dives being in a quarry, it all a matter of what you're used to. Besides diving for fun, I also teach in the quarry. Vis there can range from >5ft to 40+ ft. I dive this quarry year round, even in the winter. Not only do I keep my skills up & improve them, but I am also diving in nearly the worst conditions that there can be. It makes the clear, warm tropics a piece of cake & a treat. I also do it to challenge myself, try keeping up with 8 students in poor vis. It isn't easy, & also because it is a difference of 1-1/2hrs or 10hrs drive to dive. There are many in our locale that dive the quarry & I've made many friends & buddies. It all really boils down to, how much do you want to dive?

Having only dove in tropical waters with great vis (except for my OW cert where the vis was about 5 feet) I'm trying to understand the draw to freshwater low vis diving.

Would like to hear from people that do this recreationally that enjoy it. I live in a land-locked state where even on a good day, the lakes within driving distance are lucky to get 10 feet of visibility.

What makes this fun for you? Are you just rabid divers that are willing to dive no matter what because you enjoy it that much? Are there underwater activities you've found that make it fun?

I just look at lake diving and I think: Low vis, cold, minimal uninteresting fish, mucky coral-less bottoms, rare man-made features (wrecks or other sunken objects) and I think, why?

I see some benefit to just keeping your skills up but to be honest I've dove all over the world going years at a time between dives and have really not had an issue recalling what I needed to know. And it's nothing a quick refresher with the LDS couldn't solve.

If you're an avid low vis diver, what makes you want to do it? :confused:

For the most part, diving in a man made impound has all of the interest to me of eating card board instead of steak. Don't tell me card board is better than nothing, not really, it has no taste and no nutritional value, kind of like muck diving in man made mud holes. Quarries included. Save for the the GL and St Lawrence, Florida Springs and a few other exceptions, freshwater diving is not worth the effort.

N

I like the golf analogy... If you like to golf, you will golf every weekend regardless of how good your local course is.

I like to dive.

I dive on Fridays in the pool. I got a new wetsuit that I'm completely excited to try out tomorrow... even though all I'm going to see is bandaids and hair. I dive in my frozen ponds when I can. Why? Because I like to dive.

Save for the the GL and St Lawrence, Florida Springs and a few other exceptions, freshwater diving is not worth the effort.

N

Not worth the effort to you perhaps, but when it comes down to diving in a freshwater quarry, lake or river or not diving at all,.... there are some who would rather "eat the cardboard now & then really enjoy the steak later". Quarries DO have the value of allowing a diver to keep up their skills when there are no other viable alternatives. Personally I can't afford to drive or fly down to the gulf every time I want to dive, but I can afford to drive a little over an hour to do it locally.

For the most part, diving in a man made impound has all of the interest to me of eating card board instead of steak. Don't tell me card board is better than nothing, not really, it has no taste and no nutritional value, kind of like muck diving in man made mud holes. Quarries included. Save for the the GL and St Lawrence, Florida Springs and a few other exceptions, freshwater diving is not worth the effort.

N

Surprised to hear you say this........

Greetings Herk and I love to dive my local waters. Having grown up fishing on these local lakes many hours. I always wondered just what was down there and what it looks like. As a fisherman you are always interested in structure and how the fish are hanging. So there are those of us who love are local fish as well. Just this past summer my buddies and I have had absolutely awesome fish dives. We have seen large pike, carp, bluegills, crappies, perch and many more. The crazy thing is how close and responsive these totally wild fish in a public lake were. It was spell binding and the visibility was 15 - 20 feet above 25'. It was around 5 - 10 below 25'.
We have found so many interesting things, boats old and new, canoes, tackle boxes, anchors, old buoys, bones, numerous old bottles, a DNR body hook drag, etc.
I am what you described as an avid diver and happy to dive local lakes, quarries, rivers, ponds, if it is wet it is good. I also enjoy warm water and the Great Lakes.
Lake Hurons wrecks are incredible fun and challenging to dive. There are varying levels or difficulty and depth. One of the greatest ways to train for these are the local lakes and quarries. Thus not only for training but I enjoy deep, dark, and yes cold water. Do I dislike warm water no just a lot easier to dive more frequently closer to home! I love to dive and try to dive every week end and week days when I can get away. It makes no difference what the body of water is or what the vis is like only that I am in the water. I recently lost the month of November to H1N1 bug, I nearly went out of my mind! I then dove every week end in December but January looks like it is going to freeze. Guess it is time for the Ice dive certification.
Have fun and try your local scene, you may find it interesting!
CamG Keep diving....keep training....keep learning!

Personally, I enjoy low viz diving. The vast majority of my dives have been in the rivers near my home and a couple of lakes that are within easy driving distance. In low viz, every foot can be an adventure, something suddenly discovered that you didn't see the last time you were there. Navigable rivers (like the Ohio) hold centuries of artifacts lost overboard from canoes, flatboats, keelboats, steamers, etc. Tons of antiques just lying there to be picked up.

Summersville Lake is just a 90 minute drive from me and the water is clean and clear with up to 50 feet viz and depths form about 20 feet to over 200 ft.

I dived my first quarry this past summer and I thought it was quite interesting. Viz was about 4-5 feet. I just wandered around, seeing what I could stumble onto. School buses, an old flatbed, an airplane, boats, a mermaid...I found it quite satisfying for a day of just puttering about underwater with no particular goal in mind. And the fish were obnoxiously friendly; especially after I whipped out the ol' can of Cheez Whiz, then it was a mob scene consisting of bluegill, bass and this huge catfish with an insatiable appetite. I'm looking forward to spring so I can go back. This summer, I plan to visit a number of quarries in Ohio and Kentucky.

Having only dove in tropical waters with great vis (except for my OW cert where the vis was about 5 feet) I'm trying to understand the draw to freshwater low vis diving.

There are enough wrecks to dive for a lifetime without ever seeing them all.

Plus staying close to a silty bottom without kicking it up is great buoyancy practice.

Terry

I can't afford to fly south everytime I want to go diving.

As I am still new, I like the practice the lake here gives me. I say the same thing to my husband everytime he mocks me for diving the lake.. I would rather practice skills in a lake I have known my whole life and enjoy the view in the ocean when on vacation.

That being said, I am sooo excited about our trip to Cozumel in Feb!

I have bin diving in the Florida spring and Rainbow River,I haven,t done any Tropical diving as of yet. I like diving in the lakes by my area ,because it is a challenge (keeps me from getting complacent ) I also Like that in the 10ft to 15ft viz you don't always know what is just around the corner.And as others have stated in other posts. I know that if I ever get in to any low viz situations I will not be stressed and pannic. If you dive more lakes and Quarries you may find yourself likeing it more and more. Dive safe. KEN

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom