Wanted LP 80 (1 or 2); SoCal area

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I have 1 that is getting hydro right now. Steel 80 @ 3442 psi. $200

I'm in San Bernardino but, drive through Pasadena several times a week.

By "LP 80" you mean 2400psi?

Hi guys,

Yeah unfortunately I am looking for an LP 80 (2400) not an HP 80. The LPs aren't made any longer if I am correct. I had the opportunity to dive an LP 80 on a local boat for 3 dives a couple of weeks ago, and I liked it.

I've been renting HP 100s and I like them. I was going to buy one but basically everyone and their brother is telling me I don't need that much air and should get a smaller tank. I am still a relatively new diver (30 dives) so my air consumption is theoretically still improving. I definitely want a steel tank because I was able to take a lot of weight off my rig. I'm not Wonder Woman by any means so it's nice to have the lightest rig possible so I can handle it myself with ease.

I got to try an HP 80 for one dive yesterday and I didn't love it. I felt like it was tipping me forward and I can't lower the tank any more in my BP, the top cam strap was already at the top of the tank. I am 5'10" and weigh about 145. I feel like I've trimmed out really well with the HP 100s over a few dives. The LP 80 is more similar in size and I will be able to get a full fill on a boat. I think with the HP tanks boat fills are not usually great, so even if I got the trim of the HP 80 dialed in, I'd probably be getting a short fill on boat dives 2 and 3 around here.

I post my reasoning because I'm all ears for additional opinions. :)

Thanks for replying to my thread!

Maureen ~ laikabear

Well... The LP 80 has a buoyancy of -7.6 full and -1.7 empty. At least, that is what I found in tables. Is that true of your Coyne?

The LP 85 on the other hand has a buoyancy of -3.8 and +2.3.

So, even though it seems like they are pretty similar, that's 4 lbs. of lead right there. AND the LP 85 weighs 1.2 lbs more than the LP 80. So, 5 lbs difference.

If I can locate a used LP 80 I will buy it. If not, I may end up with an LP 85. I had been wanting to rent an LP 85 for a while, but I haven't found a shop that rents them yet. Most of them are renting HP tanks. Which is fine if you're getting your fill at the shop...

Like many things, I may be overthinking this and over-obsessing. I am tired of renting tanks, I want to own my own. I just don't want to buy something I don't like.

I've been renting HP 100s and I like them. I was going to buy one but basically everyone and their brother is telling me I don't need that much air and should get a smaller tank.
Well, this is a first - for close to the same dry weight and buoyancy characteristics, having more gas is good. As you get even more experienced your dives will get longer and maybe deeper. Especially in the latter case, a larger capacity tank is better as you'll have more usable gas after doing your min gas calculations. Even on a charter boat with a tight dive window, my single tank dive times are limited by gas, not MDL or the gate clock.

I'm not Wonder Woman by any means so it's nice to have the lightest rig possible so I can handle it myself with ease.
The dry weights of the LP80 and HP100 are within a couple of pounds of each other. I don't think that's significant enough to get the smaller one.

I'd probably be getting a short fill on boat dives 2 and 3 around here.
Even a short fill to 2400psi on an HP100 will give you 87cu.ft of gas (I know you made this statement based on HP80 but I mention this here because I don't think you should discount the HP100)

Elgoog, we may be the only 2 people not watching the Oscars. :)

I really am leaning toward getting the HP 100 tank for exactly the reasons you stated. Having dived with one for several dives now, I feel pretty comfortable with it. My buddy, the LDS owner, and pretty much everyone is telling me I don't want a tank that big, but I think that might be what I end up getting.

My usual buddy dives an LP 95 which I know I don't want because of its physical size. So he has a lot of air, and he doesn't use very much! We are about the same size and he's been diving longer.

The 100 is so much more flexible. If you like the way it trims and you can afford it...

LP95 is about when I start going "oof" trying to get the rig on. I dove an LP104 once and that was more of "sweetjesusmothermarypleasedontslipadisc" kinda experience.

Wifebuddy and I have HP100s and love them - I'm curious what reasons your friends gave for not getting it, other than "you don't need that much gas". For single tank recreational diving, HP100+EAN32 is a super sweet combo.
The only thing I can think of is that it is about $100-120 more expensive (new) than an LP85.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom