LP 95 too heavy if wet?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Lost Yooper once bubbled...
Hey, is the owner of an overfilled tank also risking getting into trouble? I get my tanks filled from a privately owned (not a shop) compressor. I suspect so.
Only if you transport it over a public road.
Otherwise, you can blow yourself to kingdom come without government interference.
Rick

Rick Murchison once bubbled...

Only if you transport it over a public road.
Otherwise, you can blow yourself to kingdom come without government interference.
Rick
Lemme expand on this a bit. I believe (but I'm too lazy to do the detailed research) that the DOT regs concerning gas cylinders have to do with moving the things on public property. So, if you're filling from your own compressor and then taking the tank directly into your private spring and never exposing the public or public lands to its presence, you're ok. But as soon as you put it in your pickup and head down the road you can be busted.
Rick

I thought the DOT was interested primarily in interstate commerce (with regard to cylinders), but I have no idea.

Mike

Jonathan once bubbled...
I'm a little shorter than you and about 25lbs heavier - I still needed weight (about 6lbs) when using a 95 and a 3mm shorty - don't think you will have a problem in a 7mm full suit.....

I am the same size as Jonathan it sounds like and I use 8 lbs. in a 5mil shorty with a Faber 95. Check around to try and rent, I believe if you get the chance to try a LP95 you will buy a set.
I also think you will find the tank will complement your backflotation bc and improve the trim.
Bill

Rick Murchison once bubbled...

Lemme expand on this a bit. I believe (but I'm too lazy to do the detailed research) that the DOT regs concerning gas cylinders have to do with moving the things on public property. So, if you're filling from your own compressor and then taking the tank directly into your private spring and never exposing the public or public lands to its presence, you're ok. But as soon as you put it in your pickup and head down the road you can be busted.
Rick

I believe that you are right Rick but I also believe that it is not just your pickup. It also includes your plane, boat, train or any other form of regulated transportation. The DOT is the Department of Transportation.

Hello MikeFerrara,

Can you provide any details on the specifications of the upcoming PST tank?

-- What's the rated PSI?
-- What cu ft capacities will be offered?
-- Pricing?
-- When will they be available for sale?

Will PST wait for the present inventory of 'obsolete' PST tanks to be sold off to the uninformed prior to introducing the 'new' tanks?

Not that PST will care about this, but what happens to the resale value of existing tanks...especially LP ones?

It sounds like the 'new' tank will be somewhat stronger but still 3500 psi tank...is this true?

What about all the places where it's impossible to get a HP fill.....the sample 140 cu ft tank @ 3500 psi drops down to a 120 cu ft tank @ 3000 psi.

Many places don't have compressors that can exceed 3000 psi......and many of my LDSs refuse to fill any tank over 3000 psi anyway.....even if it is an HP 3500 psi tank/DIN valve.........since most people dive 'standard' AL80's, they've pre-set their compressors @ 3000 psi.....and are too busy/lazy to do 'custom' fills.....trust me, I've experienced this many times.....that's why I chose Faber LP 120's.....a HP tank would be a waste of money.

Karl

P.S.......someone mentioned the prospect of DOT agents hanging around the LDS and 'sopena' ing tanks as people walk out the door.......would that be legal?

Remember, at that point I have not transported my tank down a public road......for all the DOT knows, maybe I'd planned to vent the 'excess' from the tank before starting the vehicle and driving down the road...they can't read a person's mind, can they?

I guess the correct strategy would be to put the tanks in the driving compartment, lock all the doors, keep a hand on the valve, then if the DOT attempts a bust just quickly vent the tank some?

I'm assuming the DOT would actually have to wait until one actually 'touched' a public road before attempting a 'bust' ? ...so if one were just rolling through the parking lot, picking up speed, but not yet actually on the road......you'd still be untouchable, since you're still on private property?

:doctor:
Once you find your happy medium for bouyancy you will not likely have any difficulty swimming up with a steel tank. I dive all NA in both cold and warm water environments. In Florida waters for example I use a HP 120. I have little to no air in the BCD and can swim to the surface with no problems in a 3 mil suit. When diving up in the colder waters like my home country of Canada I use only about 6 lbs weight for my thicker suit (6mil wet) if I am diving a single HP 120 (less weight for LP). In my doubles I need no additonal weight. But then I am usually diving drysuit and have a bcd with redundant bladder. Get neutral the best way you can with whatever tank you use. Keep in mind about swimming up. If you manage your gas and follow your plan you should not need to make a swimming ascent, BUT if S*&T hits the prop then you have the other option! You can choose to live or you can choose to die. You most likely will not have as much a problem coming up as you think you may have.

Did I miss the the original ? here?. Read the rules for DOT and transport. they vary from state to state I think?

Back
Top Bottom