LP Inflator hose on pony ?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

If he wants to use the pony as if it were a argon bottle and dual purpose it as emergency air. probably no foul done unless it is a small pony.

100% agree. Orignially I was thinking the idea was to connect an LP hose to have in waiting along side the primary LP to switch out if an OOA situation were to occur. At which point, I would rather breath from the pony and exhale into the inflator, terminate the dive, and resolve the problem on the surface.

Nothing wrong with using a pony as a suit bottle. However, I would not use a pony as a suit bottle and still rely on it as a redundant air source. If it is a redundant air source, then that air needs to be for breathing in my opinion (for what it's worth).

its just another tool in the toolbox... if the pony appropriate sized, there is little ill consequence.

I regularly dive dry with a 30-CF pony, and I too, after reading a Quero, thought about adding an inflator hose to my pony as a backup suit inflator. I see no reason why it's a bad idea, because whatever situation you're in that makes you use it, the dive is being aborted.

The other option is to have a quick disconnect on your pony reg (2nd Stg), and then you can just switch the hose over to the drysuit if needed. My pony reg has a QD beause I also use a full face mask and have QDs on it. This allows for switching to a redundant air source without having to remove the FFM which can be useful in contaminated waters, or diving in near freezing temps.

I dive an LP hose on my 50/50 bottle. use it for launching my surface marker for my deco stops and have it in the event I need to completely bail out of my rig. my wetsuit/drysuit has pockets so I could transfer weight and with the LP I could use it for my SMB/lift bag/drysuit to get me to the surface safely.

it's contingency planning I hope I never need...

t.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

Yep

Picture2005-15.jpg

Perhaps I should reword.. Use the pony for emergency gas and a backup for suit/bcd gas if needed. Good catch

100% agree. Orignially I was thinking the idea was to connect an LP hose to have in waiting along side the primary LP to switch out if an OOA situation were to occur. At which point, I would rather breath from the pony and exhale into the inflator, terminate the dive, and resolve the problem on the surface.

Nothing wrong with using a pony as a suit bottle. However, I would not use a pony as a suit bottle and still rely on it as a redundant air source. If it is a redundant air source, then that air needs to be for breathing in my opinion (for what it's worth).

If you can streamline it so that it's not hanging loose and in the way, I don't really see the harm. Biggest suggestion would be that if you routinely dive saltwater, make sure it's cleaned and flushed on a regular basis, and periodically check that the sleeve or bearings aren't sticking in it.

I'm going to start a new thread on ideas for orally inflating a drysuit...

If you can streamline it so that it's not hanging loose and in the way, I don't really see the harm. Biggest suggestion would be that if you routinely dive saltwater, make sure it's cleaned and flushed on a regular basis, and periodically check that the sleeve or bearings aren't sticking in it.

I'm going to start a new thread on ideas for orally inflating a drysuit...

So many ideas for oral drysuit inflation just came pouring into my head! All of them are ridiculous...

So many ideas for oral drysuit inflation just came pouring into my head! All of them are ridiculous...

I just started a thread, see if any are listed. :)

Am I missing something?

1. BCD is used as primary buoyancy.

2. Drysuit is redundant buoyancy.

3. BCD oral inflation is the third redundancy option.

That's quite a lot of options at your disposal. Do you really* need a fourth?

*question assumes proper training and usage of equipment, proper weighting, balanced rig and application of safe diving practices.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom