lung expansion???

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I'm starting to think you might be one of those folks who can speak 19 languanges, do advanced algebra in your head, and get lost trying to cross the street. You asked a question with an answer that's obvious to every diver, you claim we're all wrong, because someone told you so, then you ***** when you don't get enough scientifically based answers (or was it because none of the answers agreed with you?)

It's real simple, do as we say or you'll kill yourself in a particularly nasty fashion. It's kinda like not jumping in front of a truck on the highway. Do you need proof that that will kill you?

I suggest, since you aren't even certified, that you stick to questions about how to finish your certification class.

Tom

My feelings on it are this. The human body might not be capable of holding a breath when rising from pressure. I am sure somewhere in a breath hold from 30ft to 0ft, the air would be forced out of your body. However, it does not take but 3 feet of breath holding to cause over expansion in your lungs. It only take a few psi difference to cause this problem. You also stated that if you have your mouth open over the regulator, air would be forced out. This is not true. Try this, hold your breath. Now open your mouth. Only the air in your mouth will escape. This is the same thing that will happen if you do this at depth. Only the air in your mouth would escape.

As for divers being killed from this, yes it does happen. Their was an incident at a Florida spring a year ago where a free diver stayed down too long. He was near some divers, and grabbed an octo from them. He got a breath, and then headed to the surface. He was dead before he made it topside.

Dear Readers and mtdivegirl:

Lung overinflation
Sorry about my short response to the lung overinflation issue. I had actually thought that Dr Thomas had covered it quite well. Often times it will occur that I can not get to the Scuba Board as quickly as other readers. :(

Well thought-out responses will very often be posted (and sometimes some real ”dogs”) by the time I come aboard. We have some well informed readers on this board.

In the case of this post, I simply wished to indicate that I had [eventually] gotten to the postings - - and really could not add any more to what had been said. I apologize if my response appeared to be curt, as that was not my intention.

Non deco-theory questions =-)

While we are on this thread, I hope that the readers will please note that this "ASK DR DECO" FORUM is directed towards answering [or at least attempting to answer] questions on the biophysics and physiology of decompression. I did not intend to respond to questions on diving techniques.

Some questions which have appeared here might be better posted on the MEDICAL FORUM. If one wihes to enter them here, that is OK with me, but I personally might not know the correct response. Long-time readers will note that sometimes I will ask "Anybody know something about this?"

Dr Deco :doctor:

Wreck,
Certified or not it is irrelevant. I don't know what part of "this is not something I plan on expirementing with" that you didn't quite wrap your brain around. The question was just that..a question. I don't think I freaked out when I didn't get an agreement to my position. I asked the next question that logically came to me about the subject after reading posts that I felt were very well written.
Don't be so quick to judge a person. There is such a thing as asking a question just to gain knowledge and you don't get the benefits until you have all your questions answered. Relax and remember just because you are certified and advanced and trained with eighty million specialties might give you the right to answer questions but you should never say something like leave the thinking to us kid...you arent even certified.

mtdivegirl,
The reasoning behind the claims made to you by these witch doc...er..."scientists" was that the body won't allow you to hold your breath to a point that the lungs over-expand.

We've obviously covered that that isn't the case, and much by first/second/third hand experience.

I believe your question has morphed into your trying to find out how the body can actually prevent the expanding air from escaping. We all know it can, but we've not heard any psysiological explinations to dispute the claim your science people made [other than "It happens"].

Well, let me give an alternate but somewhat similar peice of information that might lead to your understanding/being convinced.

Look into what is known as "dry drowning". One would think that 'drowning' is your lungs filling up with fluid. However there is a concept of dry drowning, which is caused by the body closing off the air passageway in the presence of water. The victim doesn't actually die from drowning, but actually from suffocation.

While not the same thing, this is an example of where the mind perceived a threat, and the defense against that threat caused harm to the body...

Does that help paint the picture at all [or just make it more confusing?].

I havent asked a question since my second question was posted. So I dont see how it has morphed into anything. I have taken all the information you have all provided and I am making it into an arguement to present to my nerdy scientist friends to see what kind of a response they have. Seriously, you people should be able to take something at face value and not read into it.
I think this thread is pretty much reached its appropriate conclusion and hope that no one else feels the need to make some sort of evaluation on my intent to which I will feel compelled to respond.

Originally posted by mtdivegirl
I havent asked a question since my second question was posted. So I dont see how it has morphed into anything. I have taken all the information you have all provided and I am making it into an arguement to present to my nerdy scientist friends to see what kind of a response they have. Seriously, you people should be able to take something at face value and not read into it.
I think this thread is pretty much reached its appropriate conclusion and hope that no one else feels the need to make some sort of evaluation on my intent to which I will feel compelled to respond.

Yea, I think it's best to just leave this one. There's no point in arguing with one who knows more than the rest of "us people". Let's all concentrate on mask clearing :)

I never professed to know more than any of you. I asked a question. You must feel incredibly insecure about your intelligence to attack on the premise that someone should not ask questions just because they aren't a certified diver?
My question here was not related to my becoming a certified diver, it was about lung over expansion and if it was possible, and if anyone had any first hand experience with it.

Originally posted by mtdivegirl
You must feel incredibly insecure about your intelligence to attack on the premise that someone should not ask questions just because they aren't a certified diver?

Actually it's more to do with you coming off like an arrogant jerk. Your question was answered but you continued to argue. Best of all, every post you made had a snotty comment in it so I figure it's fair to bring up the fact that you can't even manage to get the water out of your mask.

Tom

An Arrogant jerk, i think that would fairly describe you and a few others who have answered this thread. My commentary was not snotty until people started moving from answering a question to saying that a person is not entitled to having a question answered because she isnt certified. Your retorts are rather simplistic in nature so maybe you would like the definition of arrogance? (according to webster)
Main Entry: ar·ro·gance
Pronunciation: 'ar-&-g&n(t)s
Function: noun
Date: 14th century
: a feeling or an impression of superiority manifested in an overbearing manner or presumptuous claims

I never professed to be superior to any of you and I never made a claim that I knew the root answer to my question. I don't feel like I continued to argue anything, as a matter of fact I did not present this thread as the basis of an arguement to begin with.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom