Luxfer S80 1988?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

blc

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
I picked up two Luxfer S80 Al tanks for near nothing. Reading the tank stamps it appears that the manufacture date is July 1988 (7 A 88) stamped on tank. The only Hydro stamp on both tanks shows April 1993 (4 93) stamped on the tank. The last visual inspection stickers show 1997.

Both tanks are filled (still have the fill tape on them) and have been stored full since roughly 1997. Exteriors are in excellent shape, no dents, bangs few minor scratches. Valves function properly.

According to all the information I can find these tanks "should" not be the bad alloy but the dates are so close its very hard to tell for sure.

Should I send them in for a hydro or just make bells out of them?

Who is going to fill them for you is the more important question. If you can get fills for them then get them back in service.

Luxfer S80s with original hydro date of 01/88 and after are of the "good" alloy. As Scared Silly related, the problem is getting them filled. A lot of fill stations/Dive Shops will not fill tanks that old. In the Florida Keys it will be near impossible to get them filled even with a new hydro and vip. Suggest you have a conversation with your LDS or whoever fills your tanks, if they will fill them for you you can risk the $ that it will cost to hydro them, if not forget it, thay are worth about 10-15 $ as scrap.

pic_1_63051.jpg

In the Florida Keys it will be near impossible to get them filled even with a new hydro and vip.

Ignorance or greed. Take your pick.

I have no problems filling tanks of that vintage or older in Austin.

The issue is not the alloy, it's just the fact that many shops, rather than referring to the DOT circular, just say "no aluminum tasks made prior to 1990". I don't spend money with shops that are that stupid as you have to consider all the other areas where they might be ignorant.

I think I will go for it and have them inspected. They are in to good of shape to just toss them.

Maybe breathing that 15 year old air in them will make me feel younger. They dont make air like they used to.

not so fast....

He's good from an alloy standpoint. Unfortunately more and more shops have established a 20 year life for aluminum cylinders. I know it's wrong but they're doing it. One shop up this way will do a VIP on any 20+ year old cylinder for $129.! Check your local shops to make sure they are old aluminum friendly and if so then go to town.

Pete

Last edited:
https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom