M/V Nimrod Explorer Travelers

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I'm booked not long before you, Singlemalt - departure on the 14 Dec. Have only heard good things about her so far.

We just got back from their far nothern reef 8 day trip and it was fantastic. The boat wasn't as new and upscale as the Peter Hughes Belize trip we did a few months ago, but the diving was the best I've ever done, and the crew (especially the dive deck crew and the captain) were so friendly and helpful & fun to be with, that it completely made up for the older boat. The food was delicious, and plentiful and varied. The crew paid strict attention to safety procedures, but you were free to be in charge of your own diving. Great, detailed dive briefings. I want to go back and do it again next year.

Lynn Alexander Levine:
We just got back from their far nothern reef 8 day trip and it was fantastic. The boat wasn't as new and upscale as the Peter Hughes Belize trip we did a few months ago, but the diving was the best I've ever done, and the crew (especially the dive deck crew and the captain) were so friendly and helpful & fun to be with, that it completely made up for the older boat. The food was delicious, and plentiful and varied. The crew paid strict attention to safety procedures, but you were free to be in charge of your own diving. Great, detailed dive briefings. I want to go back and do it again next year.

How about a more detailed report, I have been to Osprey reef, how far north did you go?

Caymanaic

caymaniac:
How about a more detailed report, I have been to Osprey reef, how far north did you go?

Caymanaic

I'm not sure quite how far we went, I know we dived Tijou reef, and small southern detached reef. The boat left from cooktown (we were flown up there), and then traveled north from there, landing at a beach in the jungle about 2 hours north (by 4 wheel drive transport which met us at the beach landing) from the lockhart river airstrip from which we flew back to Cairns. When we got back to Cairns and were reporting on the diving, others said we saw things they never see around there.

We saw numerous lionfish, silvertip, whitetip, black tip and nurse reef sharks. One hammerhead, one ray shark, and one lepoard shark One giant queensland grouper - got him on video (divemaster said he must weigh about 400 Kilos) he was wider than I am tall, and much longer, and was lazily swimming around in about 40 feet of water on top of Tijou reef. We saw him several times on each of the 2 dives we did there. We also saw giant schools of large sweetlips, large schools of chevron barracuda, including a long line of them waiting their turn at a cleaning station. Many large turtles, many different kinds of large groupers, including a brilliant black and yellow one (don't know the name). Many lage schools of batfish. Lots of untouched pristine hard and soft corals of all kinds. Enourmous angles, (much, much bigger than in Hawaii or the carribean) parrotfish and endless varieties of damsels in schools so large you couldn't see through them, they filled the water around you. Some bumphead parrots over 3 feet long (boy are they weird looking). Giant clams on most dives - they really are giant. One of the things that made the reef so beautiful was the density and variety of filter feeders, I have been studying my pics, and even now I am seeing new things in them, there was just too much to see to take it all in (dozens of different things every square foot of reef).

We dove someplaces that the captain said was the first time they had ever been dived, and some for only the 2nd (discovered on last years trip). Lots of great drift dives along incredible walls. For 7 days were were the only boat visible on the water, and land was beyond the horizon, just waves crashing on the reef. It felt remote, and like genuine exploration (which was the point of the trip). The captain was great, he would find a good looking wall and send down a divemaster to check it out. If it looked good, we would try diving it (usually as a drift or "liveboat" dive (one direction with the current, picked up by the dinghy). If the diving was good, we would do it some more the next dive starting at our stopping place along the wall.

Lynn Alexander Levine:
We saw numerous lionfish, silvertip, whitetip, black tip and nurse reef sharks. One hammerhead, one ray shark, and one lepoard shark One giant queensland grouper - got him on video (divemaster said he must weigh about 400 Kilos) he was wider than I am tall, and much longer, and was lazily swimming around in about 40 feet of water on top of Tijou reef. We saw him several times on each of the 2 dives we did there. We also saw giant schools of large sweetlips, large schools of chevron barracuda, including a long line of them waiting their turn at a cleaning station. Many large turtles, many different kinds of large groupers, including a brilliant black and yellow one (don't know the name). Many lage schools of batfish. Lots of untouched pristine hard and soft corals of all kinds. Enourmous angles, (much, much bigger than in Hawaii or the carribean) parrotfish and endless varieties of damsels in schools so large you couldn't see through them, they filled the water around you. Some bumphead parrots over 3 feet long (boy are they weird looking). Giant clams on most dives - they really are giant. One of the things that made the reef so beautiful was the density and variety of filter feeders, I have been studying my pics, and even now I am seeing new things in them, there was just too much to see to take it all in (dozens of different things every square foot of reef).

What an excellent report, thanks it sounds like you had a really great ride. Do you have any pics?

caymaniac:
What an excellent report, thanks it sounds like you had a really great ride. Do you have any pics?

Several on the boat burned CD's for everyone else, so I have lots of pics taken by other's which I am not free to post, none of my own, unfortunatley. I'm getting a camera before my next trip (Tobago in April).

Karen Burress:
Hello,
We are considering a trip on the M/V Nimrod Explorer and was wondering if anyone has traveled on it. Our itinerary is Cooktown, Ribbon Reefs and the Coral Sea. Any information would be greatly appreciated. Thanks, Karen

I have been there a couple years ago & the trip was excellant. Can't think of anything bad about the trip. So have fun.

I went in October 2002, so my experience may be a bit dated, and I haven't been on any other extended stay livaboards, so take this for what it's worth. My itinerary began in Cairns and ended in Cooktown.

I had a great time. The Dive Staff and Boat Crew were both exceptional. Meals were plentiful and better than I cooked for myself at home, but not stunning. In fairness, I believe the ususal cook was off. Not a criticism, like I said, the food was much better than I make myself and WAAAAY better than I expected.

Very detailed dive briefings and I always felt safe (at the time, I was a newbie DiveMaster and was trying to find things they were doing wrong. I found NONE.)

Two minor annoyances. First (and to my mind, the biggest flaw) was that there was no nitrox available. But I knew that beforehand, so I wasn't suddenly shocked. It just would be nice to have on a liveaboard. I don't know if that has changed.

Next, my only other complaint was that they used plastic cups (makes sense to me on a boat). But they used some funky sanitizer and the drinks tasted kinda "soapy." I did let them know that after the trip, so I hope that has been fixed. But maybe that's just the way it is in the rest of the world. I know the five Americans noticed it. I don't know about the Asains and Europeans.

I know it seems like a very small detail, but trust me, when you're doing a ton of diving, you're gonna do a lot of drinking (water and juice, etc.)

Which brings me to a final thing: If you're an American, drinks (alcoholic) were included in the price. I (and my buddies) liked that. The Europeans were a bit nonplussed.

But, as an American, I wasn't too concerned about the Europeans anyway.....

I'm sure you'll have a great time.

They added NITROX in August of 2004, so we had it for all our dives.

The sanitizer issue must have been fixed, none of us noticed anything (10 Americans and 5 Europeans).

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom