M1 first stage internals into ST1 first stage body?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Hi Doc

All of our the regulators come with the same spring..It might have been an older schematic...All come with the 21-0570-00 main spring in the first stage. There is not difference in the two just different part numbers for different software systems. Also, the inlet tube is made of brass in the M1 to help with the heat sink. Brass is much more responsive to heat absorption than titanium is....This is why we chose to use brass instead of titanium in the second stage inlet tube. Thanks again Doc...Always good conversing with you!

Atomic Aquatics

I was looking at this idea again today and noticed a schematic showing that the ST1 has a different first stage main spring, 21-0570-00, than any other AA first stage, including the M1, which use 21-0574-00. What's the difference between these two springs?

It also looks like the M1 swivel retainer, 01-0012-MO, is monel instead of brass... though the ST1 and the B2 seem to use the same swivel retainer (01-0012-00).

Also, why does the M1 second stage have the same inlet tube as a Z2? Make em out of 316 stainless and charge me extra for the better corrosion resistance/harder to machine material! :wink:

Thank you for the great follow up. I'd figured the issue with the inlet tube had to do with O2 ratings, but looking at the relative thermal conductivity of the various flavors of brass as opposed to Ti alloy or stainless steel, that makes a lot of sense.

Also, the schematic I'm working off is indeed older, from 2007 in fact. It would be nice if current schematics with parts numbers were available on AA's website.

So to get a ST1's first stage to perform to the same specification of a M1, I only need to swap out the piston and swivel retainer with ones in a M1?
Thanks.

Hi guys....

Dr. Lector...We have the latest schematics/procedures on our site..They are just located in our dealer only databank. A simple username and password will get you into that area to download the most current schematics, etc.

Scuba_moron....We have only certified the M1 to use those high concentrations of 02 (up to 80%). We have not done a lot of research regarding the Stainless and its properties and I would advise against using the ST1 for those applications. But, the piston and monel swivel retainer are a couple of the reasons why we can use the enriched air in our regulators.

Hope this helps guys..Please let me know if there are any further questions.

Ryan Kenney
Huish Outdoors/Atomic

Scuba_moron....We have only certified the M1 to use those high concentrations of 02 (up to 80%). We have not done a lot of research regarding the Stainless and its properties and I would advise against using the ST1 for those applications. But, the piston and monel swivel retainer are a couple of the reasons why we can use the enriched air in our regulators.

Hope this helps guys..Please let me know if there are any further questions.

Ryan Kenney
Huish Outdoors/Atomic

Ryan, Thank you for your reply. I will leave the ST1 alone. However, I have two B2 1st stages that I would like to convert to M1 specs - M1 piston and swivel retainer are all that is needed?
Thanks.

Back
Top Bottom