MacDive vs Subsurface

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Justin Phillips

ScubaBoard Supporter
ScubaBoard Supporter
Reaction score
# of dives
I'm a Fish!
I am a Mac, Ipad, Iphone users and just about to get a Shearwater Teric this weekend. I cant find anyone who has used both and what their preferences are. I have used Subsurface to get my old paper logs into but I would really like to know if anyone has both and can provide feedback.

I don't mind the small cost for MacDive but wonder if it is better than Subsurface for that small cost, if they are about the same etc. Open source does not scare me either, I know there are so many people involved with Subsurface it is rock solid, the interface is ok, I made my way through it. So would love to hear some feedback on what people think.

I use both, but mostly MacDive. MacDive has the by far nicer interface, in my opinion, and has much better support for tracking gear and critters if that's your thing. This is what I use day to day. Subsurface has better technical features, can recalculate tissue saturation for existing dives and has a dive planner. Trying to get Subsurface to connect to any of my dive computers over Bluetooth on Mac has been ... let's say, hit and miss. Mostly miss. Entirely miss, I think. In MacDive it just works.

I use both, but mostly MacDive. MacDive has the by far nicer interface, in my opinion, and has much better support for tracking gear and critters if that's your thing. This is what I use day to day. Subsurface has better technical features, can recalculate tissue saturation for existing dives and has a dive planner. Trying to get Subsurface to connect to any of my dive computers over Bluetooth on Mac has been ... let's say, hit and miss. Mostly miss. Entirely miss, I think. In MacDive it just works.
Thank you that is very helpful! I dont know how much planning I would do on my phone vs the computer and I love tracking what I saw! I like to get a tattoo on my leg of anything unique I find in the water.

For the above I was thinking about the desktop versions. On mobile I think Subsurface has less features and MacDive looks even better in comparison. Though I think Bluetooth in Subsurface on mobile works.

For the above I was thinking about the desktop versions. On mobile I think Subsurface has less features and MacDive looks even better in comparison. Though I think Bluetooth in Subsurface on mobile works.
Computer is where I ultimately want everything

Another MacDive vote. The user interface alone is enough to recommend it. As others have mentioned SubSurface while having the UI/UX equivalent of stepping on legos with bare feet, is technically far superior and will have a lot more tech and advanced features. I just can't stand the UI despite it being better in those regards. If you get into tech diving, you will notice the MacDive technical limits more and more. I still don't care though. The other thing about MacDive that is both a pro and a con is that it's maintained by a single developer. They are, currently, highly responsive to feedback/bugs etc. That being said they could stop development tomorrow and that its. Subsurface being open source is worked on by a very dedicated team of volunteers updating and maintaining it, so the removal of any single developer isn't catastrophic.

My workflow (for boat dives) is that I take my iPhone out with MacDive's position recorder running (phone in airplane mode), and complete my day of diving. Take notes in a different app on my iPhone in-between dives. End of the dive day, stop the GPS recording, and import from the dive computer to my iPhone. Still on iPhone, tag the locations (from the GPS trail) for the dives, then cloud sync. Once home I can then edit the dive more on my desktop or iPad connected to an external monitor a lot easier from the notes, then cloud sync back to iPhone. Yes you have to buy two licenses but I personally think it's worth it, also like supporting developers doing good work.

For technical stuff I'll upload to Shearwater cloud and/or Subsurface, just to store the data and have it available for reference later. But I don't do any of my log info there, more of a data viewing service.

Edit: I have found that desktop bluetooth is just a pain in general on Windows, Mac, and Linux. I regardless of what service I'm using I always use mobile.

Also one pro tip, make sure you keep the shearwater app on your phone. When you travel and your phone updates it's time zone to whatever the local time is, open the Shearwater app and pair it your dive computer. Pairing your phone updates the dive computer's clock to whatever your phone is. So instead of digging through the menus its just a simple pairing. Then repeat it when you get home. You need the dive computer clock and phone time to align for the GPS matching to work. The auto update is a setting on the shearwater app, I think it's on by default but i'd check the very first time.

Back
Top Bottom