Macintosh Poll

What operating system do you use with your dive computer?

• I use a Mac but I use a PC with my dive computer

Votes: 2 6.5%
  • I use a Mac and I do not use a PC with my dive computer

Votes: 9 29.0%
  • I use a PC, and I use my PC with my dive computer

Votes: 13 41.9%
  • I use a Mac and I would be interested in a Mac native app for my dive computer.

Votes: 13 41.9%
  • As a Mac user I run OSX

Votes: 14 45.2%
  • As a Mac user I run 8-9.X

Votes: 3 9.7%
  • I only use a PocketPC with my dive software

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

MVillanueva

Reaction score
Reading the "Software to connect Suunto Stinger to Mac" thread got me thinking. As an avid Mac user the very first thing I when I joined this BBS was look for mac software + dive computer combination. All I could find was the iDive package as noted in a previous thread. As we Mac users know, the only other route is to do when there are no mac compatible programs is to run Virtual PC. Unfortunately, external devices (i.e., dive computers, GPS units) which require FireWire or USB drivers can be both quirky and unstable with a VPC and OSX combination

I was going to ask a friend of mine to write me a native Macintosh dive app for my dive computer -- and he might be willing to give it a shot -- when I thought to take a poll and see how many Mac users there are on this board.

This is just a "testing the waters" poll. If there are a number of mac users out there (4?), the next step would be to find out the type of computer they use.

Thanks

Michael

I'm a mac user, but I haven't got my dive computer hooked up to my mac. I wanted the Suunto Stinger for my bday, but the bfriend is being cheeky :) so I probably won't get it. Gotta pay bills first anyway :(

However, I've been told there's a program you can run for the Suunto to work.

I use a Mac (OS X), and run Virtual PC for my dive computer (Sherwood Wisdom).

Would love a Mac native program or even a Palm OS program. Anything that looks as good as Ruiz Dive Log (for Palm) would be great--just need someway to import the dive data.

++ Peter

I also use an iMac and 12" Rev C PowerBook on OS 10.3.4 and Virtual PC to download data from my Suunto Mosquito. I'd love to do it without the Virtual PC!!

JoseBarracudas:
X 6Gill

Check www.ingraf.es/iDive
This is a software to connect Suunto Mosquito to Mac OS X. It would run also on Stinger, Cobra and Vyper, but i not check it.

Please if you test it send me your results and comments.

josebarracudas@teleline.es

Well Jose, I had downloaded your program awhile ago but I haven't tried it out yet. I'm always a little cautious of new software and the fact that the Virtual PC works also keeps me from being in a hurry to try it. The fact that it is set up for metric readings sort of turned me off too. I'm just not used to using metric readings. I'd like to see some pros & cons from users of the program too. Perhaps a thread on here for users of the program would be great for all concerned. I may have missed it but so far I haven't seen anybody post that is actually using the program with their Mosquito. :eyebrow:

I have 3 macs and would love to have dive software for them. I have just bought a couple of Apeks Quantums (Dive Rite Nitek Duo). The USB interface will be available in a couple of months, but they've said the software will be PC only.

I'd be extremely pleased if someone could write some software to download the data to a Mac. I use OSX.

Cheers,

Justin.

To be honest, if you mac guys are interested in software, you should ask those companies who make USB compatible computers for some documentation on how to interface (command sequence, etc.) with their computers via USB. If you can't do the development, at least you can save the developer from trying to tracking down the specs. Developers will be that much more likely to support your 'puters if they see a community willing to pitch in and provide whatever support they can.

PurduEE:
To be honest, if you mac guys are interested in software, you should ask those companies who make USB compatible computers for some documentation on how to interface (command sequence, etc.) with their computers via USB. If you can't do the development, at least you can save the developer from trying to tracking down the specs. Developers will be that much more likely to support your 'puters if they see a community willing to pitch in and provide whatever support they can.

I'm not sure what your point is? The Suunto software isn't set up for USB devices. It's still a designed for a serial device type hookup. I suspect most of the other Windoze type dive software is also serial type setups.

I'm thinking that most of the newer Windoze machines are being setup with USB ports and no serial ports. :eyebrow:

6Gill:
I'm not sure what your point is? The Suunto software isn't set up for USB devices. It's still a designed for a serial device type hookup. I suspect most of the other Windoze type dive software is also serial type setups.

I'm thinking that most of the newer Windoze machines are being setup with USB ports and no serial ports. :eyebrow:

My post was more a reply to freeflyer.

It reads like there has been some native Mac work done already for the suunto devices. The point of the thread seemed to be regarding dive computers in general, not just your particular suunto. It also seemed to be aimed at native dive computer software, without the need to emulate a Windows box.

I'm thinking that most of the newer dive computers will be USB because newer PCs are being setup with no serial ports. Newer pelagic computers have USB download cables (Aeris, Oceanic, etc.). Freeflyer also mentioned another couple of computers that will have a USB interface as well. Either this interface is pure USB, or some sort of serial translated to USB. Either way, there's a specification that describes how to access that interface to pull the data off the dive computer. It's my suspicion that no one here has that information. Perhaps I'm wrong.

My suggestion was that developers are more receptive to working on developing software when others are involved in badgering companies for specifications, etc. If you want something to happen, get involved and try to help it along, rather than just posting that you wish it would happen.

That's the point.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom