Macintosh Poll

What operating system do you use with your dive computer?

• I use a Mac but I use a PC with my dive computer

Votes: 2 6.5%
  • I use a Mac and I do not use a PC with my dive computer

Votes: 9 29.0%
  • I use a PC, and I use my PC with my dive computer

Votes: 13 41.9%
  • I use a Mac and I would be interested in a Mac native app for my dive computer.

Votes: 13 41.9%
  • As a Mac user I run OSX

Votes: 14 45.2%
  • As a Mac user I run 8-9.X

Votes: 3 9.7%
  • I only use a PocketPC with my dive software

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Hmm ... If I could get the information from Suunto as for how the data is dumped (format, pinout, etc), writing the log-program wouldn't be that difficult (time consuming, but not difficult). OSX is amazingly easy to write applications for... although this would be the most ambitious project I've thought to tackle, by far.

I use a Stinger and no home-computer-log.

I use both 9 and X due to the amount of $$$ I have in older software.
Would love to be able to use a Mac with my dive computer, but would settle for something good on Palm OS ... .

Unfortunately did I not only Think Different when I picked a Mac, but also when I decided on a dive computer: Hydrospace Explorer.

PurduEE:
My post was more a reply to freeflyer.
Either way, there's a specification that describes how to access that interface to pull the data off the dive computer. It's my suspicion that no one here has that information. Perhaps I'm wrong.

My suggestion was that developers are more receptive to working on developing software when others are involved in badgering companies for specifications, etc. If you want something to happen, get involved and try to help it along, rather than just posting that you wish it would happen.

That's the point.

That's a very good point, but there have been enquiries made to some manufacturers, and they generally aren't going to give you the information. There have been a few threads on this board and others about writing mac software particularly for the Suunto's. Requests have been made to Suunto and they have refused to part with any information about the format of their data. It has had to be reverse engineered from the data stream.

However, I'll email Apeks and see if they're interested in helping out.

Good suggestions. Let's be proactive.

Justin.

I received a newsletter from Suunto and it has a Link to some potentially helpful information.

Mac G4 powerbook and eMac
OS X panther
I have a mosquito and log my dives manually
would love mac software

Have a mac and got a PC just to run the dive software and some of the other dive apps the run better on the PC or don't run at all on the Mac (without virtual PC). Dive with a mosquito and would love to just log on the Mac and not have to use the PC for the Suunto software.

Chris

I just bought an aeris atmos 2, and I am on 10.3.5. I would love to use a native mac application. I just emailed Aeris about possible mac development. I have programmed some cocoa applications in the past, but never interfaced with hardware. I have also programmed on PC's with hardware data aquisition. Are there any othe rmac users with an aeris computer?

I use nothing but Mac's for Advanced Diver Magazine. I started using Mac's back when they were the Mac black and white 9 inch box, 1983 i think?

I have a Suunto Mosquito and found this forum while looking for information on how to connect the Mosquito to my Mac(s). I tried iDive, but could not get it to work. I kept getting communication erros.

Then I found out about 'DiveLog' (http://divelog.actwin.com). I downloaded it, installed it, connected everything, launched the software, tested the interface (it's a feature within the software), set my Mosquito to transmit, started the transfer from DiveLog - and voila! A few seconds later, the data was on my Mac and DiveLog was displaying it on my screen.
I was able to add additional notes to each one of my dives. The program never crashed. There are still a few cosmetical issues, but nothing that would keep me from using this program. Mark, the guy who wrote it, did a great job! The data file is in XML format, so I included it in my Backup schedule and so I'm going to get regular backups of my data saved on my iDisk.

The program is still in beta and the current version will expire on Nov. 30. mark has indicated that he is going to sell the finished product. Based on my experience with the beta version, I would be happy to pay a reasonable amount of money for it.

Here's my setup:
- Suunto Mosquito dive computer
- Pismo Powerbook (upgraded to G4/500, 1GB RAM, OS X 10.3.5)
- Keyspan USB/Serial Adapter USA-19HS
- Suunto Mosquito/D3 compatible PC interface cable (eBay#7108059147)
- DiveLog beta software (http://divelog.actwin.com)

Cheers,

Andre

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom