Macro question

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

My conclusion is the G16. I plan to make videos, wa, but mostly want to take macro pic using Marco lens. Is this the right choice to buy the G16 for its "better" macro capabilities.

How are you gunna house the camera(what make/brand)......& what macro/WA lenses are you going with??.......

For what it is worth Bluewater photo have a new write up on the G16.

Canon G16 underwater guide to settings, housings, wet lenses | Bluewater Photo & Video

Quote from the web page and they had given the Sony a big wrap.
[h=2]Why use the Canon G16 for underwater photography?[/h] The Canon G16 is a top of the line compact camera that rivals the Sony RX-100 for focusing speed and image quality. While the Sony RX-100 has a larger sensor, and better color depth and dynamic range, the Canon G16 has a longer lens, better built-in macro capability, and a lower price.
The longer lens lets you get more magnification with a wet lens, and it allows you get to get further back from the subject, which is important to light the subject properly and to not startle it.
When I was testing the G16 underwater, I was impressed by its focusing speed - I thought it was a noticeable improvement from the G12, and rivaled the RX-100 in focusing speed.

They have given the Sony the best image quality and focus speed in short this is the best compact camera according to bluewater but also to backscatter reefphoto etc etc
the G16 is classed as best choice for macro (as it has poor selection of wide angle lenses) and the S110/S120 good for versatile set up (you can shoot macro and wide and save yourself $350 from the RX100)

I can shoot Marco and wa and save $350 your saying

G16 is nice camera - but if you use the canon WP DC-52, despite its poor manufacturing quality, it is very difficult to adjust the Aperture and speed in manual mode.
Indeed, you can assign the C1 and C2 but still the poor design on the button and dial location is very annoying.
If you have extra budget, get the third party housing with easy A and V adjustment. Housing with built-in M67 port is another plus point

I have a canon SD550 w/ canon housing I started with. The flash on the camera doesn't even work lol.... It's time for a better camera!!!! I own a Nikon d80 but its my land camera. Anyways I will place an order to get the g16 and move forward from that point. Macro has always intrigued me and need a camera that will be best at that like the g16.

It's not an award winning pic but its what I have to work with. I ordered Martin's underwater photography book to start learning more. Thanks all

Attachments

• IMG_0090.jpg
    IMG_0090.jpg
    10 KB · Views: 100

Back
Top Bottom