Macro video and using zoom ?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

ronscuba

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
I made a similar post in DaFireMedic's thread, but I don't want to hijack his question since this is a different subject.

I know using zoom is generally frowned on and some people never use it at all. It can result in shaky footage, less clear shots, etc.. However, some shots require using zoom. If you want to fill the frame with a tiny shrimp, or film a shy creature, you need zoom.

What I wonder is, are people totally not interested in watching or filming macro video ? Is it the difficulty of the shooting, the resulting shaky footage, or just plain non interest in the subject ?

I started to get a little bored with Caribbean diving, seeing and filming the same stuff over and over again. Once I started looking for the small stuff, diving became interesting again. Filming it is very difficult, but I find it interesting to watch because it's new to me. The eggs on the belly of a pederson shrimp, the claws just above the mouth of an arrowcrab, the tiny blennie hiding in it's hole and then darting out to feed. I never would have even seen this stuff if I didn't use zoom.

What are your thoughts ?

I don't zoom much, since I need alot more practice at keeping steady. Paul Wags has alot of great HD video on his site HDV Underwater which includes alot of macro zoom footage and it is awesome. I fully agree that a zoom should be used, but it should only be used for those shots where you cannot get the shot by getting the actual lens closer. Getting close and then closer is key, and another skill which I try to work on each time I am fortunate enough to get to dive (which is not often enough).

I personally enjoyed the macro shots you provided the links to in your other post, and so long as you like them, don't worry too much what other folks like.

Vic

Hi ronscuba,

I totally agree with you. The only things to consider in my opinion are:
  • Despite the zoom, get as close as you can to the subject to get as little particles as possible between it and the lens.
  • Put the camera either on a tripod or slam it into the bottom so it will not shake while you take the shot.
  • Being so close, don't "burn" the subject with your lights! Might be better get the exposure down a little.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom