Magazine???

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

XPATMANX

Reaction score
# of dives
0 - 24
hey, i was thinking about subscribing to a magazine that is scuba related. I was wondering if any of you have subscribed to any under water magazines, or if you can rate any/ tell me which ones are better than others. (I really like sharks, whales, scuba gear info, cool dive spots etc..) But if you dont subscribe to a magazine on those topics feel free to post it anyways. I really just need something to remind me of diving when im not actually in the water.:D

I see you live in Canada. The Canadian Diver magazine isn't too bad: Divermag, though I have trouble finding it. In the US, the big ones are Rodale's Scuba Diving and PADI's Scuba Diver magazine. I frankly think that after about 1-2 years in the sport, these magazines get terribly repetative. I used to subscribe to Diver magazine from the U.K., but got tired reading about diving destinations that I'd never go to, and it is very expensive. On the more advanced side, is Wreck Diving magazine, and Advanced Diver magazine, both of which are published quarterly. Have fun. -Todd.

The PADI magazine is extremely repetitive. Some great photography, articles which are nothing more than advertisement for PADI courses, paid advertisements for resort destinations and basic recreational scuba gear reviews. You will never see a back plate with wing in this magazine.

Undercurrent (https://www.undercurrent.org/) is an excellent newsletter covering the gamut of scuba-related issues with an emphasis on dive destinations. It is a non-profit and accepts no advertising, so there is less potential for bias. It is a little on the expensive side, but worth it, and it is a newsletter, not a magazine, so it has no color photographs.

Last edited:
HOME - Scuba Diving Magazine Scuba Diving. Not bad, very commercial. Good for a newer diver, lots of reviews of dive sites and gear. Lots of hot young hardbodies to model gear and such.

Dive Training Magazine — Scuba's magazine for new divers and their instructors. Dive Training. A good mag more concentrated on continuing education than fancy liveaboard boats.

Divers Alert Network : Membership : Alert Diver Alert Diver, comes with a DAN membership. Enough said.

Scuba diving, scuba gear, dive travel - Sportdiver.com Sport Diver. Comes with membership to the PADI Diving Society. Probably worth the dues on it's own, much like Scuba Diving.

A Monthly Magazine About Scuba Diving in the Northeast - Northeast Dive News Northeast Dive News. It is more a local rag type magazine, but they have editions from all over the US, perhaps one is close enough to you to be worthwhile?

Scuba Diving Magazine for Serious Divers, Undercurrent Reviews Dive Resorts and Scuba Diving Equipment A good solid publication. More a newsletter than a magazine. No nonsense accident reviews and news. Also you can write reports for it. Comes with the Traveling Divers Chapbook, a nice reference if you are planning a trip.

I like the Scuba Diving, Undercurrent, and Diver training, but all of the ones mentioned can have some good info and/or photos.

Remember, its just money.

Back
Top Bottom