Magnifying Glass?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

rexman24

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
A question for Roatanman or others-

when you say to bring a magnifying glass to the Bay islands.

Do you litterally mean to bring one?

or

Is it a euphanism for learning to appreciate and look for the small stuff and not literal?

Thank you in advance

He means really bring one. Or get one while there. I think I paid about $5 for one at the dive shop at CocoView Resort. It has a little coil strap so you can put it around your wrist and tuck it in your glove when not using.

what are the small things that you find interesting-seahorses, shrimp, reef fish?

Hi

All sorts of things small creatures, fish especially, Gobies and Blennies, fish such as Lacer Dragonets, I found a baby Scorpion fish yesterday approx 3/4 of an inch long, Nudibranchs etc etc I could go on and on, there really is so much to see.

Here in the Bay Islands you could swim around with a magnifying glass out all day long.

Doc aka Roatanman is off diving in the Philippines...not sure when he will be back...he can give you a list as long as your arm :wink: but yes it does encourage you to go slowly and appreciate the small critters up close....the little blennies are a good example or the small nudibranch ...I have one that he gave me and it works great...takes a bit to get use to but brings the small things to life....btw pls no gloves on the reefs :no tuck the magnifier into you bc pocket...I keep my clipped to my bc

tvictory:
He means really bring one. Or get one while there. I think I paid about $5 for one at the dive shop at CocoView Resort. It has a little coil strap so you can put it around your wrist and tuck it in your glove when not using.

except that gloves are prohibited at CCV.

I dive very slowly, looking at tiny things.

I bought a magnifying glass. Actually, I bought several.

Whay I found was they make essentually no difference underwater.

I needed to fabricate and glue on to the sides a lip about 1/2" deep so I could trap a little bubble of air between the subject and the Magnifier. When looking through the air, it worked enough to make it worth the effort. Without the air, it didn't offer any significant assistance.

I'd love to know the miracle magnifier all y'all are using. Because the Trident and several drug store magnifiers were pretty useless without an air bubble.

There are a few threads on SB about it.

---
Ken

Mo2vation:
I'd love to know the miracle magnifier all y'all are using. Because the Trident and several drug store magnifiers were pretty useless without an air bubble.
Magnifying lenses work because of the difference in refraction between the lens and the air or water surrounding it. Cheap drugstore magnifiers are either plastic or cheap glass. The index of refraction of those are too close to water to have much magnification underwater. A good optical glass / leaded glass lens with a high index of refraction will have less magnification underwater than in air, but will still work nicely.

Mo2vation:
I bought a magnifying glass. Actually, I bought several.
Whay I found was they make essentually no difference underwater.

Like Charlie99 said above.

In English? Single lens type, glass and make it about 10x... a little too powerful for its own good above water, underwater- just perfect. Pay about $2 at any flea market... from the guy who sells the hemostats and dental picks for hobbyists.

It makes a world of difference.

I just gave three away to eager hands in the Philippines, after they had tried mine.

Stuck one over the front of my housed Olympus Stylus 500. Wow. I'll be posting the incredible micro photos as soon as I get some sleep.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom