Magnifying Glass?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

RoatanMan:
Like Charlie99 said above.

In English? Single lens type, glass and make it about 10x... a little too powerful for its own good above water, underwater- just perfect. Pay about $2 at any flea market... from the guy who sells the hemostats and dental picks for hobbyists.

It makes a world of difference.

I just gave three away to eager hands in the Philippines, after they had tried mine.

Stuck one over the front of my housed Olympus Stylus 500. Wow. I'll be posting the incredible micro photos as soon as I get some sleep.

Welcome home....missed ya :D

Charlie99:
A good optical glass / leaded glass lens with a high index of refraction will have less magnification underwater than in air, but will still work nicely.

I think there is room to debate the "nicely" part of that sentence. Even a lens made of high index crown glass (n ~ 1.6) loses more than half of its magnifying power underwater. One made of more conventional borosilicate glass (n ~ 1.5) loses almost 70% of its power.

Those curious about the details may want to read the article titled Underwater Magnifier at ScubaGeek.

So to achieve a desired magnification underwater you either need to start with a much higher power lens, or you must isolate the lens in an air space. Steve [DeepBlueDivers] mentioned our SubSee Magnifier, which employs the second strategy.

Kris Wilk
ReefNet Inc.
www.reefnet.ca

Hi Reefnet

As you know I had 2 of your good friends here for the last couple of weeks Susan and Lisa and they lent me a SubSee to play with while they were here, I can say with all honesty I believe that it is the best underwater magnifying glass I have used.

DeepBlueDivers:
As you know I had 2 of your good friends here for the last couple of weeks Susan and Lisa and they lent me a SubSee to play with while they were here, I can say with all honesty I believe that it is the best underwater magnifying glass I have used.

Glad you liked it. Sue and Lisa said they had a blast diving with you guys!

Kris Wilk
ReefNet Inc.
www.reefnet.ca

The biggest factor I see in the reef net glass is that they are around 75 bucks!! Thats alot for a magnifying glass!! Anyone know where you can find one for less??
Thanks

laserdoc:
The biggest factor I see in the reef net glass is that they are around 75 bucks!! Thats alot for a magnifying glass!! Anyone know where you can find one for less??
Thanks
Glue a couple of plexiglass sheets on a normal magnifying glass.

Or do as Roatan Man suggests above and get a 10x lens or jewelers loupe made out of high quality crown glass.

The deal with a jewlers loop is that they are pretty darn small. I had a glass magnifyerl about 4 in around and it worked great!! Lost it some how in St. Lucia. Must had fallen out of my BC pocket. Found it in a box somewhere and said that this would be great under water. And it was!!.Key word is was

Hi

Yes I agree the Reef Net is a little more expensive but I will say I think it is worth the money as it is the best I have used, and if you are really interested in what you are seeing its well worth it

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom