Maine in July

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

In 1998 I dove Somme Sound which is a Fjord (sp?) that cuts into the island. I am from there originally, left in 1969. I dove with a giant ironworker named Jeff Pease. It is off of Hall's Quarry Road. I dove it in May and the water temps were 42ish. Very cool dive.

Thanks. I will look up Ed and see if I can book a trip. My biggest concerns were the extreme tides and the cold water. Deep (to 130 - 140 feet) is not really a problem. Cold definitely is.

I will post again when the trip gets closer. Maybe someone will want to get wet then.

Jay

If you go from shore as we have working around high (slack) side makes many of the entries a lot easier. There are a number of sites we have been to that can work with any tide. You are right to be cautious of the tidal changes. We had one site morph so much in the 20-30 minutes we spent gearing up that my wife called her dive.

Pete

Go with what Poe mentions as his knows the area well. If ocean conditions are rough, there is a nice sheltered shallow cove west of Bar Harbor (just south of and outside of Acadia) with a spectacular view that will guarantee an escapade with sea cucumbers and if you lucky like we were a spectacular lump fish.

I havea series of BMP's of all acadia Bathemetry 90mb size total. Anyway you may want to get those yourself or could you suggest a way I could send em to ya.?

this may be a dumb question, but I think I read somewhere or saw some pictures of someone diving in Maine with seals. Could have been a Disney movie, or a dive website- does anyone know if there is a place?

There was a recent movie out and the footage of the seals were it was chewing on the blue force fins was right here in Bar Harbor, ME... can't remember the name of the title though.

Diver Ed is running a seal dive charter in June.

Dive Charter in Search of Seals When: Sun, Jun 22, 10am – 6pm
Where: COA Dock (map)
Description: with Chris Eaton, seal hunter $25 charter fee + $25 per tank

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom