Major Industry Change re: Online Scuba Sales....

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

RJP:
Too clever by half! It's time to get more sophisticated than Marketing 101.

You're close. V-E-R-Y close. But is Quaker Oatmeal Oceanic's competition?

PS - I'm now running the risk of being not only pedantic but semantic as well!

Actually yes. Food, clothing and shelter take precedent over dive gear (Unfortunately) any day.

Look, the point is that Starbuck's is also in a niche market - I don't drink coffee, so I have never been in one; and I have been to a McD and an IHOP in the last year.

So...

As far as Oceanic..., I own Oceanic, Scubapro, and Zeagle regulators and use them all...

The closest competitor to the diving industry is, I belive Bocce Ball, that's the next largest sport industry, or so I've been told.

I think that Scuba diving may be in for a big hit. The squeezing of the middle class has just begun. The squeeze is being expressed as both a reduction in discretionary funds and also a reduction in recreational time. Diving is expensive and is very time intensive. You normally can't do it for a few hours, it is pretty much a day long "adventure". It is also an energy intensive sport due to the use of boats and reliance upon travel which are heavily impacted by the cost of petroleum.

I know many many people that stop diving because of the money, time constraints and I think they also know that it is a lot more dangerous if you only drag your gear out once every 3 or 6 months. I personally don't foresee a big expansion in the US scuba diving industry, regardless of the power of the internet.

Thalassamania:
The closest competitor to the diving industry is, I belive Bocce Ball, that's the next largest sport industry, or so I've been told.
You couldn't be more wrong!!! Everyone knows that lawn darts in on its way back in. The 2007 Lawn Dart World Championship in Stuttgart will one again put lawn darts on top where it belongs!

I agree with the Dumpster. Diving as a sport may end up shrinking. My observation is that the average age of people getting into diving is going up. The average age of people I see diving is a lot older than it used to be. A rich man's sport is an old man's sport. Participants will have a limited number of years to participate.

Making diving affordable to those who are not in their big-earning years is essential. If it takes on-line discount sales, fine, we already have a good start. If it takes internet training, we can do that. No manufacturer is going to stick around if the market for what they sell declines. I was able to start diving in 1977 because I could buy gear at a discount store. If not for that I would not be diving - and spending on it today.

hahahahahahahahahahahahaah I've gone maaaaaaaad.....hahahahahahahahahaa compleeeeeeeetly insane.......hahahahahahahahahahaaaaa! All this babble has washed me under laddy !

I am not in sales or marketing so I am a little confused. Everyone seems to be talking about what will happen if the market is blown open with the huge intense competition that internet sales and no pricing controls. Isn’t this already happening? I can go on the internet and buy from LP, eBay, or even direct from Hong Kong and Singapore. I am probably missing something but how will allowing LDS’ to compete add to their demise. Is this because there are enough loyal customers that will hold the shop up by paying artificially high prices? If this is true, then how would allowing competition have a negative effect on this loyalty. If not then how are the LDS’ able to survive in the existing market?

I believe that the answers are in relationships.

I don’t buy from LP or those other web-stores. I do buy from some dive-shops that have internet sales like Divetank, but still get most of my gear from my LDS. I do this because for many items by the time shipping is included my LDS is similarly priced, but mostly I buy from places for the service and relationships that I have developed at the LDS.

There are things that I buy for price, but I buy a lot of things at higher prices in exchange for quality, customer service, hands on comparisons, and the friendships that have been developed. One example is my computer. I buy things at places like Best-Buy, but I get my computer parts and service from a small local shop. In the growing dominance of big box stores and the internet this little store is busting at the seams. The owner of the business recently had to expand into the space next door. I doubt that he is able to buy at the same cost as Best-Buy, Costco, or New Egg, but some how his biggest problem is keeping up with all the demand.

Divetank is a “brick and mortar” second generation family run full dive shop. They are also one of the largest drysuit sellers in North America. I purchase stuff from them as much for their customer service and the trust that they have gained in my previous purchases as I have for their price. I know that a lot of people on this board feel the same way about places like Scubatoys and Dive Sports. I bet that Scubatoys does a decent amount of business and am curious how their sales compare to LP.

Also I don’t get how all the manufactures can not control the grey market. I have never seen a grey market car lot. Bose Audio and Dyson Vacuums have been very effective in limiting grey market sales.

As for price… I had wanted to dive for years. The cost kept me out. I even took a PADI course in college, but couldn’t afford the open water trip (rental, lodging, etcetera). I now can afford it and have spent thousands proving that.

Give me some insight.

Thanks,
Soggy

It is definitely a step in the right direction to encourage ecommerce. Often the internet is the only place where you can get a special item as the dive shops tend to stock only the big brand names.

The big "brick and mortar" retailers will sell online anyway. The small local dive shop will probably not bother with that additional admin of keeping an online store and concentrate on personalized service in their shol (and there will always be a market for that).
They might offer courses and list some equipment for sale online but I can't see them competing with the big reatailers on that market.
As the big manufacturers do not support ecommerce it gives small manufactuers a niche to break into the market and make their product known. Not a bad thing either.

I worked in Product at REI...the worlds largest outdoor retailer. I worked with the online sales department, giving phone or live help advice to customers.

If someone lives in Seattle, they could visit REI's flagship store...get personalized service and TOUCH the product. Or...they could work 5 blocks from the store and order from REI online so that they don't have to miss going to the rock gym after work. It provides customers with options. And the online department at REI does as much business annually as their brick and mortar locations.

As far as my shopping habits, occasionally I'll order online. But if I knew that my LDS had items available online, I may actually spend more with them each year. For when I'm sitting at home "thinking" about picking that "something" up next time I'm in...well, I could walk over to the computer and order.

Adding a "shipping" area and procedures would be the hardest part of selling online for most LDS. Well, and then the web updating.

Back
Top Bottom