Making good underwater video

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

No Offense - bu I don't have the attention span for a 10 mintue dive video.

I would have edited out some of the shaky underwater footage.. keeping the clips more concise. But that's just my opinion.

No offense taken. Thanks for looking at the video and the feedback.

Most of my videos are in the 30-60 min range, at least the ones for my cable TV show and commercial DVD's. My interest is in telling a story, although that story focuses on the marine life itself and its biology, ecology, behavior. I use divers in my videos occasionally, usually to indicate transitions to other subject matter.

I've just started producing a few shorter videos (1-15 min) and even with these I have the same kind of story to tell since my primary goal is education.

I must admit when I watched one of Howard and Michelle Hall's "latest" IMAX films, I was very disappointed at the amount of topside story interjected into the underwater footage. I'm sure for some, especially non-divers, it made the story more interesting. However, I found some of it too contrived for my tastes. Of course their underwater footage was great!

Then some divers who have viewed my DVD's and TV show have suggested I insert more of myself as the "charismatic guide and personality" into my stories. I may do a little of that in my future Kelp Forest Ecology series, but I've always preferred to be off-screen rather than on-screen! Hmmm, I really should use my lovely lady dive buddies instead.

Back
Top Bottom