making it to divemaster

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Linze1106

Registered
Reaction score
I am interested in becoming a divemaster and joining up with a scuba shop and help out on dives. Of course this wont' be for a while and i am curious how long it took to be come a divemaster. I know that it depends on how fast i take classes and how many dives i go on and how often i do them. I am just wondering what the average is and if you could kinda tell me your background that would be nice too. Thanks! :D

Did my DM in the early 90's with PADI. As I recall now it was sort of a self-paced thing. I had a full time job that required some travel so I wasn't able to go at it all at once. From the date I signed up for the course to the day I finished all the requirements was about 6 months.

'Slogger

I did my DM in the early 90's with PADI. From what I recall it was a self paced program (at least back then). I had a full time job that involved travel so I couldn't go at it all at once. From the day I signed up for the course to the day I finished all the requirements and exams was about 6 months.

'Slogger

I've been diving for about 2 years and have averaged about 100 dives a year. I have been assisting classes in one capacity or another since I became certified and have over 400 hours of pool time in addition to my dives. I am taking the DM course now and it looks like it will be about 6 months before I complete it. I took OW and Nitrox the first year then AOW, Rescue, Training Assistant and Master Diver the second year (all NAUI courses).

Joe

Did mine over four months in Thailand. Cheap as chips, and could dive/assist as much as you want. got a hell of a lot of experience out of it. Was assisted several different instructors, so got to see different teaching styles, and also had the benefit of two Course Directors' experience for the theory and skills. In Thailand you can go at your own pace too. With PADI it's a minimum of 60 logged dives before certification as a DM.

I'm working on mine at the moment (PADI) and as others stated, it's self paced. If I took a week off work I would have been done in 8 days, but I spread it out over 4 weeks (gotta keep working) 3 days of diving left.

Aloha, Tim

I'm finishing off my DM (SDI) and DM/AI (ACUC) at the moment I should finish the SDI stuff in about another week. I was certified OW in July, Advanced in late August, and Rescue in late October (all ACUC), Nitrox in February (TDI). I was encouraged to do the DM with PADI like my husband is now doing but liked the SDI system and the people doing it. I've got heaven only knows how much time in the pool and 70+ dives, all in what you'd call cold water. If you have the confidence and the instructors have the confidence in you just go for it.

Sue

I'm doing my DM right now on weekends only as I have a full fledged job which pays for my Diving passion. I did my OW in Nov 2004 - AOw in Jan 2005 Rescue EFR in OCt 2005 ( Goa India) MSD in Jan 2006 at Mermaids Pattaya Thailand. I bought all the study material - (Diving Knowledge workbook, Divemaster Manual, Dm DVD, Encyclopedia of Recreational Diving) and completed the reviews first and finished my DK workbook and then only joined up for DM course. I know of a person who completed OW to Dm in one month straight but that not my kind of learning . Its difficult for me to cram so many things at one go and not forget later on. One month internship for DM or 8 weekends seems to be okay for me.

kidspot:
I'm working on mine at the moment (PADI) and as others stated, it's self paced. If I took a week off work I would have been done in 8 days, but I spread it out over 4 weeks (gotta keep working) 3 days of diving left.

Aloha, Tim
I wasn't aware, cool deal Tim. :D

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom