Making my own springstraps

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Daz where did you source the hollow strap?

I bought a couple feet of it at my local Sport Chalet, but any climbing shop will have it (in various colors even). Only costs a few cents/foot and I used less than a foot of it on each strap.

By the way....if you are unsure that you really want spring straps, just get a couple of bungees with hooks, cut to fit the bungee, burn and retie the loose ends. Attach to your fins with a pair of channel lock pliers. I did that and have been using them that way for 3 years now with no problems. I put the extra pieces in my save-a-dive kit.

c
Agree 100%. I've been using bungees for a few years. They're cheaper and easier to don/remove than traditional spring straps.
Aloha Shore Divers
DSCF2972.jpg

Guys,

I sometimes wonder why we go though all the work when you can get them for around $20.00 a set? I know there is pride and feeling that you've done something but sometimes it is better to get a product from us or another reseller to ensure that your dive doesn't end in failure.

I've seen on dive boats many people with their latest design.. Some are really good and others are just waiting for the strap to come about during a dive..

In the end some folks can build almost everything and have the time which is great but others that do not have the ability should spend the money and enjoy their dive..

We try to make purchase atleast from us less painful so you can afford to go diving!
Piranha Dive Manufacturing

Cheers
Eric

I was going to post a link to a very good scubaboard thread on DIY spring straps from several years ago, but Eric's right... at the price he's listing, you aren't likely to DIY without spending at least 50% more.

I'll vouch for the Piranha sping straps (altough I know this is hijaking the thread). I love mine.

Worth pointing that Pirahna has them for $17.00 or something like that.

I made my first set of spring straps (McMaster-Carr springs, anchor shackles, tube webbing and all), but when my girlfriend wanted some I did the math and it was substantially cheaper just to buy them from Piranha , particularly after shipping for one set of springs from Canada. Their spring straps are really nice, too.

I do like the feeling of making my own gear, and it's nice to be able to customize stuff, but this is one example where I'm happy to let someone else do the work.

Small plug for Piranha (and thread hijack): I live in Guam, where it's a pain to get stuff shipped from most mail order/online companies, even though USPS delivers here as domestic. When I ordered from Piranha, not only did they have no problem shipping to me the day I ordered, they refunded me the $5 difference between their online shipping estimator and the actual shipping cost! Now, that's what I call great service.

First off thanks guys! Most people see the price and think they are not good and don't order them.. But we work really hard to try and offer a fair price on all of our dive products!

Our fin straps and dive hoses are the hottest products going off the shelf right now.

If anyone as a question feel free to email at piranhadivemfg@aol.com and we will respond..

Have a safe and happy Thanksgiving!
Cheers
Eric

Guys,

I sometimes wonder why we go though all the work when you can get them for around $20.00 a set? I know there is pride and feeling that you've done something but sometimes it is better to get a product from us or another reseller to ensure that your dive doesn't end in failure.

I've seen on dive boats many people with their latest design.. Some are really good and others are just waiting for the strap to come about during a dive..

In the end some folks can build almost everything and have the time which is great but others that do not have the ability should spend the money and enjoy their dive..

We try to make purchase atleast from us less painful so you can afford to go diving!
Piranha Dive Manufacturing

Cheers
Eric

Wow Eric, that's a really good deal. When I made mine there were only 1 or 2 manufacturers offering them, at a price point of ~$60. At that it was worth making my own. $10 each is about what i paid for the springs by the time i had them shipped.

In the future I will keep my eye on your site.

Jake

By the way....if you are unsure that you really want spring straps, just get a couple of bungees with hooks, cut to fit the bungee, burn and retie the loose ends. Attach to your fins with a pair of channel lock pliers. I did that and have been using them that way for 3 years now with no problems. I put the extra pieces in my save-a-dive kit.

c

Very nice work Daz; I'm almost too embarrassed to load this picture of my bungee straps. But as I said previously, if you are not sure you want spring straps, this is an easy way to find out.

Fin_bungee_2_.JPG

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom