Making the Jump to Diving Dry (Undergarment Advice)

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

TN-Steve

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Hey Gang,

Just purchased a Whites Fusion (Sport Skin) from my LDS, and I'm busy getting undergarments for it. I'm going the eBay route, since
  1. I'm Cheap
  2. I Can afford to make a mistake and not kill my budget
  3. I know that like wetsuits, one set doesn't handle all conditions.

Diving Freshwater Quarries (for now), but things like Florida trips are in my timeline, maybe even one to the Great Lakes. Here are what the current conditions are at one of them...

DepthTemp
Surface85*
25 ft70*
50 ft52*
75 ft44*
100 ft42*

All 3 places I dive are about the same, one doesn't get as cold, just not as deep.

Here's what I've gotten so far, or am looking at hard. Reviews and Specs can be found here

Diving Concepts TPS Thinsulate Extreme (Purchased "gently used" and awaiting delivery) it's a thick fleece (11 oz or 300 gm) with 200gm of thinsulate and a nylon shell. I figure that should handle the coldest that I'm going to be diving. Stole it for 40 bucks

Looking very hard at the USIA Exotherm II. It's 16 oz fleece (about 500gm) with a nylon shell. This should handle most of what I plan in diving in. I can get one for about 60 bucks.

Also looking at the stuff Rondel101bjrr has available on eBay, he's been recommend by people here, and also some other folks I know. Just don't know enough about the various materials to make a good choice there, but his prices are hard to beat.

I've also got a set of my old army ECWCS polypro top and bottoms. I figure they will be good for warm to moderate levels.

For my feet I'm figuring on a good pair of heavy wool socks, and maybe a set of thin fleece lined neoprene socks (Like they sell for waders). I've got the Whites Fusion boots, LDS pretty much made me an offer on 'em I couldn't refuse.

Do you think I should get a lightweight base layer, something like the Whites MK0 or MK1. They seem to be mainly to help with wicking away moisture, my budget can handle getting that from the LDS, it's about 100 bucks.

Any help, guidance and suggestions you can offer would be greatly appreciated. I'm going to have enough room inside the suit, I was right on the cusp between their S/M and L/XL drysuit. The S/M was way up in my crotch and it was restrictive with just street clothes raising my hands over my head. The L/XL fit a lot better and wasn't restricting my motion. I know that will be affected by what I'm wearing, but I also know that it wouldn't get less restrictive as I added layers, so I went with the larger size.

I know that my 5mm Wetsuit, even with hood and gloves isn't up to going to 100 feet and 44 *, the one time I did and spent 15 minutes there I was ok underwater, but when I got out my core temp really dropped and I was shaking like a dog passing a peach pit.

I know I'm asking a lot, but I know that the experts here can help me out. (Yes, shameless suckup appeal to your egos)

Thank you,

Steve

Last edited:
I dove the Diving Concepts garment (with a 200g vest under it) for the first year in Puget Sound. It was adequate, but I was often cold. I'd say your water temps in the 40s are not going to go well with it, but the warmer temperatures will be fine.

I like a nylon-bonded fleece base layer -- I use KamGear.

Thermal tolerance is pretty individual, but water in the 40s is cold. Be aware that, when you purchase used Thinsulate, the quality of the garment can be quite variable, depending on how much it was dived and how much it was washed.

I found fleece and layers work for what I need. Layers so I can adjust my insulation on the boat can't take it off during the dive but as the day warms up I generally will lose my vest since I warm up fast if the air is warmish even if the water doesn't change.

Your temperature range is too big for one undergarments. Whatever makes you comfortable in end, you will feel roo hot or too cold on the other side. You sure water temp can change that much in a dive?

Also looking at the stuff Rondel101bjrr has available on eBay, he's been recommend by people here, and also some other folks I know. Just don't know enough about the various materials to make a good choice there, but his prices are hard to beat.

I just took delivery of a 300 gram fleece 'jammies' from Rondel101bjrr and dove them for the first time today (Bare shell drysuit). I tend to run warm, but I dove with the top unzipped in Hood Canal (Washington) today. I'd guess the water was high 40's / low 50's (haven't downloaded my computer yet) but I was very comfortable. I was wearing swim trunks and and ArmorAll stretch top under the 'jammies'.

Asking price through eBAY was ~$90 plus shipping. I'd certainly purchase another set. You're basically buying the jammies at close to dealer price.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom