Mako Sharks on coast of Maine?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Oceanseleven

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
Was told by several people that they closed several beaches in Maine because of a couple of mako sharks in the area. Particularly long sands and short sands beaches as well as Nubble light. Anyone have any info on this and is the ban still on? Have a group heading out to Nubble this Friday morning and we need to know what the deal is.

I don't know whether closed beaches equate to No Diving Allowed. I doubt it.

If you have a class or something I'd call the local PD.

Maybe you will get lucky and see a shark

Not sure about this - I haven't heard anything, but there was a basking shark at Salisbury Beach at the end of last week - could be this is what you are hearing about?

I think it was about 5-6 feet long and came in about 5 feet off the beach. They closed the beach for an afternoon, then IDed it as a basking shark... needless to say, there were still not a lot of people in the water when they re-opened it!

A dead Mako washed up in Wells a few weeks ago. A few other fins were spotted. And Wells closed the water for swimming for a day.

Fins were spotted in York about a week later but I don't recall hearing of a closure there.

Quiet since then to my knowledge.

Watch for the 200V Torpedo Ray at Nubble.

Pete

Cripes, most folks cry "Shark" even if all they see is a fin. They wouldn't know a shark unless it bit them in the :mooner:

Oh, wait. Perhaps I should rephrase that statement?

Actually I was browsing thru Shark Times and there was an article about humans being in the water and for the sharks to be cautious and stay away from them if encountered.

ScubaSarus:
Actually I was browsing thru Shark Times and there was an article about humans being in the water and for the sharks to be cautious and stay away from them if encountered.

See…….. now that’s more like the truth

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom