Malapascua - Cebu ?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Peter2doo

Reaction score
Anyone been there before? May go there in July.

Got infos are that some good fish life exists. True or not?
And accomodation?

Any input welcome.

A friend of mine went there a few months ago.He told me that the island is beautiful and still laid back.
The top attraction are thresher sharks but apparently sightings are not guaranteed as before. Otherwise he told me that a lot of fish bombing is going and that there are a couple of interesting wrecks in the area.
Hope this helps

..perhaps someone else can chip in????? It seems to be an interesting spot, worth to explore.

Hi,

been diving in Malapascua in aug 2001, twice on Monad schoals dives site (the place where you spot threshers). each time was fantastic, though the sea was really rough and the viz bad.

First time on an afternoon dive, we saw 6 manta rays flying over us. One was really HUGE, some 4m wingspan.
Second time early 5h30Am dive, we were 3 boats of different dive centres, only mine saw something and what a thing !!! 3 threshers circling at the cleaning station, at closest we were creeping on the bottom some 4 or 5 metres from them, and stayed for 20 minutes, looking into the blue, a devil ray also passed by.
That morning when we went up to the boat, the anchor chased we had to cut the line, there were waves more than 2 meters high and running drift. Suddenly the engine smoked and stopped, we had to wait for an hour (with no anchor, currents and waves)before the captain repaired the whole with a rope, a nail, a piece of plastic or any expedient he found.

However, I can imagine how the dive on Monad schoals can be boring if you don't spot a biggie, it's as flat as the back of my hand, with as much corals and sea life.

August may not be the best diving period for Malaspacua as the place is not sheltered from winds and sea, lots of typhoons too.
However the island is heavenly, no cars, no girlie/party places just bikes and villages.
Exotic Island Resort is your best bet, very good dive centre, nice bungalows for 15USD per night.
Go there before it's too late !! Someday there'll be no more place in the world to spot threshers.

im def. gonna hit that spot! i even had a dream about it last night.. that i was taking pics of all these thresher sharks and then i got stuck at the bottom and there were these thresher sharks swirling above me and i couldnt get up and then i dont know what happened.. haha. but anyway, so whats the deal Peter2doo are ya goin in july or what?

I'll go to Cebu middle of July.

But , it is monsoon season as a poster reminded me. And apparently except the threshers nothing much to see (flat ground)

I'll decide on the spot. If weather is questionable, will go to Dumaguete - Apo (as my GF lives there), if weather clear, I'll go up with her to Malapascua.

Let you know.
Anyway, thanks for the infos!

Just back from 5 days diving at Malapascua. Was quite lucky at my 2 dives at the Monad Shoal: altogether saw 6 Thresers and 2 Manta Rays. But agree, nothing else to see there.

Also had some very challenging drift dive with extreme current at the tiny island with a guard house (name?) There's also a cave - tunnel. Saw 3 little whitetips sleeping there.

One dive we ended up in a large school of Jacks....great.

But Yes, dynamite fishing goes on.

Accomodation: Cocobana Beach Resort, 800 Ps incl bkfst., nice at the beach of white sand.

Dinner at Sunsplash or Maldito: they also have one evening a band. But as this time was off season, not much happening = BYO pillow.

Dives with SeaExplorers, who also arranged the transport to and from Cebu: 1500 Ps one way by van for 4 pax + 300 Ps the boat, altogther 4 hours. If you take the bus (non-aircon) you pay only 70.-Ps + 30.-Ps for the boat, but it will take you 6 hours.

Back
Top Bottom