Malaria pills? What do you all do?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I
Ahh, But now your posting here so you really may find the absolutely correct answer from some anonymous folks rather than worry about what the CDC or medical person may tell you
I never said that I was going to disregard anything the CDC says or my doctor but I did say I was curious what other people did, for example which medicine they chose, any side effects, etc. Basically what everyone else posted about besides you. But thank you anyway.

When we went, we took the meds. Chloroquin, no side effects for either of us and it was cheap. We still used deet though. The resort we stayed at was vigilant with raking the sand and I am pretty sure they sprayed in the mornings. No problems for us but when we go back we will probably do the pills again.

I never said that I was going to disregard anything the CDC says or my doctor but I did say I was curious what other people did, for example which medicine they chose, any side effects, etc. Basically what everyone else posted about besides you. But thank you anyway.
A simple use of the :search: feature will yeild hundreds of posts along the line you are now asking for and recieving, you will find most do not "choose" what meds to use, they take what the Dr recommends, Many take them, many do not, some have side effects, some do not, I am sure these posts will all aid in your decision making process in some way

I don't take malaria pills, there's also the possibility of dengue fever from mosquitos and those damn sand flies can be really annoying. Rather than cover myself in a chemical soup of sunscreen and bug repellant I prefer to employ physical barriers like wearing long sleeves, long pants, and yep, even socks at times as well as heading indoors at those times when the bugs sre out and biting.

Yea, sure, it cramps my beach bum style, I like to strut around in my tangerine speedo as much as the next guy but IMO it's worth the hassle of carrying around the anti-bug, anti sunburn clothing in my bag "just in case".

Our last trip the wife took Chloroquin, but suffered some side affects....dizziness and some stomach issues. Pretty sure it was all from the meds, but not positive. I didn't take anything primarily because I couldn't find a doctor that would prescribe them. My doctor would only refer me to a Traveling doctor who was 100 miles away and just didn't get there in time before our trip. The wife's doctor had to look it up and make some calls before she would prescribe them.

Snagel

You're <1 day travel back to the US and first world medical care. Malaria doesn't kill you that fast. I guess I've always assumed I'll just go home and deal with it there if I fell ill.

I would not be so glib. This is a serious disease which is easily preventable. The diagnosis and treatment can be tricky...this is not a sickness where you go home and get some pills and take it easy for a couple of days.

You're <1 day travel back to the US and first world medical care. Malaria doesn't kill you that fast. I guess I've always assumed I'll just go home and deal with it there if I fell ill.

Neither does hepatitus, Hiv, or many others but I still take measures to prevent having to deal with them

While I didn't take anything for Roatan, in travels to malaria areas in Asia, South America, and Africa I've always taken doxycylene. I picked up on it from people I met from other countries where it's frequently prescribed as an anti-malarial..apparently not often here as my own doctor hadn't heard that. It's cheap (generic) and you take it daily. There are some listed side effects including heightened sun sensitivity, which I've never experienced (although I'm dark skinned).

I was at CCV for 2 weeks last year. I took Malarone.

I do not recall seeing any mosquitos. Just because I did not see any, does not mean that they are not there. I have more than a little experience with mosquitos having worked several years in a mosquito lab where we kept numerous colonies of the critters. Mosquitos are quite proficient at getting people. Also, malaria is a pretty nasty disease. I do not see any particular reason to take a chance in this area.

I understand that many people go to Roatan and do not take the antimalarial drugs and manage to come back to the US disease free.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom