Maldives July 2008

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

scubadiggy

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
2500 - 4999
Hi Guys,

Went off to Maldives in July for a very short 5 day break. Managed over 10 dives but conditions and viz was not at optimal levels. Here is the link to a few pics..hope you like them. All critique and coments welcome.

Maldives July 2008 - a set on Flickr

cheers,

Diggy.

"conditions and viz were not at optimal levels"

You, sir, have obviously never been in a rock quarry. I would label said conditions and viz at about the most optimal I can imagine after my last few dives in the limestone pits =D.

It's all in how you look at it, hehe.

Amazing pics, I love the white crab with the black patterning, they are my favorite sea creature lately.

Great stuff. Amazing variety of life. Especially enjoyed the shot of the whole eel. I hear there's quite a lot of current there, was that your experience?

Fantastic set of images - great work !!

Thanks guys......

SPG:
Rock quarry, limestone pits....may the good lord keep me far away from those :D But seriously i have never dived something like that ever. Too many opportunities around the far east and india ocean for me to try that ! I am sure thats a whole new ball game ?

Tuner:
From India Maldives is only 3 hours away..two flights either via Bangalore or trivandrum or colombo.

Stayed at the Reethi Beach Resort which is at BAA atoll a 45 minute seaplane ride from Male airport. Very nice and clean resort with reasonable prices compared to other resorts. The dive centre is professionally run with a dive group not over 3 to 4 per dive master. The house reef is also really awesome and extends across the resort on 3 sides. You can take a special package and do as many dives on the HR with a buddy (which i did not have) My main reason in choosing this side was its Manta season there...and if you are REALLY LUCKY get to see a whale shark. (obviously lady luck said :no to me :) Well it seems your best chances of spotting one that side of maldives is from end august to ean september :dork2: All in all i had a great time and completed my pro nitrox course. I had been to bandos before but i prefer the diving here as around bandos some dives were like jet sking underwater !!

Larry:

Yes Maldives does have some really unpredictable currents. And july is unpredictable weather too. On one of the dives the sea was so choppy that of the 8 divers on board 3 opted out of any dives. The dive spot was also changed. 15 mins through the first dive (current and viz were terrible) i felt so sick that it was an effort not to puke :blinking: Thank god that passed. Luckily the second dive was a little better..But on this day i got only 7 pictures and not one was decent :( But the dive spots around reethi beach were not bad at all compared to my earlier experiences in Maldives. Maldives does have some really nasty currents. But isnt that where al the action is ?? For me i personally dont like really strong currents.

Cheers ,

Diggy

Awesome picture - love the manta's!

Back
Top Bottom