Man shot in spearfishing accident under Twin Bridges in Sarasota

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Do you know what happened exactly? I don't. It might have been a faulty part on the gun or something...??

Last edited by a moderator:
Do you know what happened exactly? I don't. It might have been a faulty part on the gun or something...??

That's why you must maintain muzzle discipline....

I heard that viz was less than 5ft. Getting in the water with either of the guns these guys had was a recipe for disaster. The Range on the guns far exceeded the maximum distance they could see.

This accident (?) is vaguely familiar with a accident that occurred under the rigs of Louisiana around 1960ish.

Almost similar circumstances spear fishing in less that crystal clear water and a spear through the head.

The victim and the perpetrator were rivals for the affection of a female who was waiting top side

The case was investigated as a murder but the case was dropped for lack of evidence....The perpetrator went (or swam) away free man.

SDM

Yeah Dr Sam, tell us the rest of the story, please. :)

That is why I hunt solo, and if not, I am very careful about who I choose as a buddy. A loaded weapon is dangerous regardless of who carries it.

Darwin's Theory states that species develops through natural selection, not the nature of the natural selection process. Hanging around with careless people may select you out even though you are otherwise a careful person.

Bob

[video=youtube;9td61CFSml0]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9td61CFSml0[/video]

We very much need Dr Sam to tell us the whole story. Please feel free to create a new thread.

'
Yeah Dr Sam, tell us the rest of the story, please. :)
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Ayisha,
The event was published in "Skin Diver magazine; a magazine for skin divers and spearfishing." aka SDM

It was a short blurb in SDM. The facts were basically as I reported and there was no follow up to the blurb.

As you know I have been in this sport many years and have a rather extensive diving library, I can recall several cases where the death was under suspicious circumstances, but could not be prosecuted due to lack of witness and effective evidence recovery .

One that caused a stir was in 20 foot of crystal clear calm water. The wife was located in with regulator out of her mouth no signs of panic or struggle. It was surmised that the husband turned off the air and held her down until she passed away then turned on her air and swam away. Returned to the boat and asked if any one has seen his wife since they had become separated.

In the early 1960s LA County hired Dr, Tom Naguchi as the chief medical officer. He had the tille "Coroner of the stars" since so many Hollywood types died when he was in office He became very interested in diving accidents so the divers knew him as the "Coroner of the divers. " A county ordnance was passed requiring any dive related fatality must undergo a complete autopsy under the personal supervision of Dr. Naguchi. apparently the word got around and suspicious deaths ceased.

SDM

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom