Manatee Dive-Crystal River FINAL

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

First my wife and I would like to thank Ken & Suzie for their hard work putting this event together. As stated by eveyone but Simon it was VERY COLD but that couldn't stop the Scubaboard gang in their quest for manatees and fun. We did encounter a few setbacks in finding them however they probably read this forum. With our Captian leading the way we continued the search and found them at the main spring along with a herd of young snorkelers and 8 or 9 other boats. As Simon stated they did silt things up pretty bad but there was about 7 or 8 manatees there along with Snook,Tarpon,Sheephead and schools of Snapper. Not all on our boat made it to the spring due to the fact we anchored away and it was a swim to reach it. Once we gathered our group back on board both boats went to an area close to 3 sisters where the manatees rewarded those who got back in the water. I think 3 or 4 manatees came out to an area deep enough not to get silted up to bad and allowed those wanting to get up close and pet them. Once everyone got enough interaction it was time to headed back for shore lunch.

Lunch at Crackers was a time to warm up and share stories with everyone. We took over the south end of the restraunt and spent the next hour eating and talking about everything. GREAT TIME. Next up was group pictures and goodbyes for those not diving the afternoon.

The hardcore divers then grabbed their gear and head out for some underwater manatee hunting. The group of 18 plus dewindled only 6 with 5 diving. My wife and myself, Jenny , DSW and No Fish were determined to get somebottom time. Gibbons joined us as a bubblewatcher and first mate. On the way back to the main spring our captain Suzie noticed the boat seamed to be taking on water so we made port and No Fish & DSW checked the pontoons for holes, they found none but Suzie felt the boat needed to be looked at. (hope the boats ok Suzie) Ok so its cold,boats got holes thats not gonna stop this group. Suzie got us another boat from the Port Marina and we moved our gear and were soon back underway. We arrived at the main spring to find only 2 boats and dive class of 5. Roxanne & DSW choose not to do the cavren. Jenny, No Fish and me headed into the carvern before the class silted it up. I think the wind was main reason the viz was bad however once we entered the cavern the viz was perfect. We spent about 20mins checking out the cracks and chimmneys and fossils in King spring cavern. We found the catfish den and No fish went in for a closer look. The class did join us in the cavern but not for very long so we had great viz for most of the time. We swam out of the cavern over to the manatee statue before surfacing. ON the surface Roxanne & DSW told us about the Tarpon and other fish they seen while we were under. All agreed to head back to the boat and go over to 3 sisters spring. I agree with DSW,3 Sisters was the highlight of the day although it was shallow 15' max great views and lots of life. The viz was gin clear and lots of stuff to see. The manatees coming into to back basin was right out of the video we watched. You couldn't ask for a better way to end the day. We headed back to the boat and made for the dock.
After a HOT shower the wife and I went out with (No Fish = Chuck) to dinner and more story telling. A few more drinks and stories back at hotel bar the 7am to 11pm day ended.

To all that made this event,Roxanne and I want to say we truly enjoyed meeting you and sharing the time together. :wink:

i think my left big toe hasn't defrosted yet, not to mention parts of my :censored:
and the lower left quadrant of my :censored:

but i did have a blast, even if Simon was there

thanks all, for a great time!

the only pics that came out decent were of this
barnacle(and-what-not) encrusted fellow:

H2Andy:
i think my left big toe hasn't defrosted yet, not to mention parts of my :censored:
and the lower left quadrant of my :censored:

but i did have a blast, even if Simon was there

thanks all, for a great time!
Heh at least i got a mention, and have in almost every report post thus far - what it is to be memorable, even if for the wrong reasons :wink:

Damn, sounds like everyone had a great time - I wish I could have made it but the holidays are just keeping me close to home.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/
https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom