Manatee Dive-Crystal River FINAL

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

cardzard:
I still feel the main cavern with lights and a buddy is a SAFE dive for anyone with good diving practices.

just be aware you're playing Russian roulette if you're doing
this dive without you and your buddy having good overhead
training. you'll get away with it most of the time, yes.

hey, i ride a motorcycle. i know the risks. i just don't want
you to think that you are doing something safe. you are
not.

be aware of the risks and minimize them as much as you can.
overhead can bite you in the a$$ in a second.

Well i leave a little taster of a question, go away for the weekend and of course come back to a nicely stirred up debate - getting good at this :wink:

As i said before i have only been in that cavern once, and on reflection i believe it was fairly safe, but a line, two+ lights, using 3rd's rule and a buddy would make it safer! In comparison to Ginnie's Ballroom - its smaller, siltier and has no permenant line - it also gets a fair amount of traffic from what i recall. The entrance is a bit of a spiral, slight constriction and it goes back about 50-100ft from what i recall and am told. Just want to be safe, particularly with a group this size - i reckon it looks like at least 8 divers (who are medically able to dive) who might like to go in there, just from a count off this thread, thats plenty to silt the place out if all in there at once. :wink:

There is definately a lot of tees here right now and more still to come. Saw a school of sheepshead yesterday and there's always mullet and snapper. Anyway, take whatever safety precaution you feel necessary. I think you guys that will be doing the King Spring dive know whats safe and whats not. Not that I'm making light of a cave dive, but we'll all just plan it before we go down and it will be fine.

Ive decided to rent a pontoon boat myself. There's 4 of us coming together, and it makes more sense for us to do this, so we can snorkle and dive. We'll be meeting everyone there. Looking forward to putting faces with screen names! (I think)

Dragracer:
Looking forward to putting faces with screen names! (I think)
Careful what you wish for :wink:

Just look around the Port hotel the preceeding and night of this event and i am sure you wont be able to miss us!! Same goes for the others who arent quite associated with the dives but off SB.

I'm gonna blow silt all over y'all with my new Honda DPV! It's a four stroke 125 horsepower outboard engine with a Vest style pfd to increase buoyancy. The gas tank is a little cumbersome, as is the hookah line to the surface for the air intake. Aside from that, it gets me where I want to go quickly! I figure, with this, I could run down at least two or three of them bull doggies and drag them back to port for cleaning. caving might be a little tight as there's no prop guard on the outboard. Ah what the heck, I never use a blade guard on my table saw either! (Then again, I only have three fingers on one hand, but what does safety really matter as long as you still have an opposable thumb?)
Silted up cavern? Baby, when I get that mega dpv in there, ya'll gonna feel like yer starring in the twister movie! Eat silt debris ya nitrox suckers!

This mental breakdown was brought to you today by the letter M and the letter Q.
We now return you to your regularly scheduled boredom.
Beeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeep! ***

Not to make light of entering a cavern without overhead training, but I agree with Colin about this particular little cavern. I guess I've always had great viz down in the cavern and never pushed the limits too much.

I guess the bottom line is to use good judgement and not go beyond your training and experience, as it always is while diving.

I'll be there with the family on Saturday. Hope to cross paths with you guys and maybe share a manatee kabob or two during the SI.

I've attached a spring map and a sketch of King's Spring, both courtesy of http://www.floridacaves.com.

Happy Thanksgiving to everybody.

See you guys soon,
Grier

Anybody have a childs wetsuit I can borrow...er, I mean Hermit Crab can borrow? She is wearing a size 7 girls.

I might only be coming up for the day now, thinking a decent drive up in the morning and back later that evening. What time are we thinking we might rent/charter Capt Suzie's boat till on saturday afternoon?

https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom