Manila Airport -how long to allow?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Heg

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Hi there
We will be arriving into Terminal 3 on Singapore Airlines from Singapore . We are departing T3 on Philippine airlines ( domestic to PPS).
How long should we allow between flights? SQ will check our luggage through to PPS allegedly....

Thanks

Yes. Your worst problem is that the flight from SG won't be able to land on time due to "airport congestion" and you will be circling the airport for some time. Most likely your connection to PPS will be delayed also, the later the flight the greater is the delay. However, the local airline will still enforce the gate closing time even if the departure is delayed because there are passengers waiting for no-show passengers or cancellations. The local airlines tend to overbook, so better safe than sorry.

Reactions: Heg
How much time would you allow yourself to change between two flights?
2 -3 hrs is the bare minimum for me. Flight delay is very common and I hate to buy a new ticket especially dealing with "point to point" carrier ie. budget carrier. I know both SQ and PR are not classified as such but why take chances. AFAIK, there is no way your luggage can be checked through to Puerto Princesa without being looked at in Manila. There is no custom service in PPS.

A380 hasn't make it to Philippines because I hate to think how long it will take to off load all the luggages on board especially over Christmas period. My record is 2hrs at T1 on a 747 before Christmas decade ago.

You have to clear customs in MNL. Your bag will be tagged thru to PPS, but you still have to pick it up in MNL and recheck it. Just like flying into Australia with a domestic connection.

Back in August, when I flew into Manila internationally and then transferred to a PA domestic flight, I was required to remove my regulator from my carryon and pack it in my checked luggage. I also learned that if I had bought my excess domestic baggage fee on-line or in person at least 24 hours before my flight, the cost was less than half what I paid when checking in at the gate. Thus, I bought my excess baggage fee for my return flight at the same time I had to pay for my excess baggage fee on my originating domestic flight.

Back in August, when I flew into Manila internationally and then transferred to a PA domestic flight, I was required to remove my regulator from my carryon and pack it in my checked luggage.

You are correct. Regulators are not permitted in carry on for domestic flights in the Philippines. This was coming into effect when I was there in November last year. I think they now consider them a possible blunt object similar to a hammer. I booked my flights through Philippines Air all the way so I had International baggage limits all the way.

My flight from PPS to Manila was delayed 6 hours due to congestion on the Manila runway. I think I flew 4 times throughout Philippines and every time my flight was delayed due to congestion in Manila in one way or another.

Sorry to stress you out, but ya, Manila airport is the worst major airport I've ever been to.

Back
Top Bottom