Manta dive in Feb?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Scuba Susie

Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Aloha,

Rumor has it while diving in Kona in Feb may reveal whales and dophins, the famous manta night dive is not so great that time of year. Can anyone confirm or deny?
Mahalo,
Susie

The manta dive can be hit and miss during the winter months. It can also be great.

If you are going to be here for any length of time, just check to see what's happening the day you arrive, most operators are straight up on whether the mantas are appearing or not, and sign up or not sign up. It's busy enough, but not so crazy busy, that you should be able to hook up with a boat with a day's notice at that time of year.

Have fun,

Steve,
I assume you work for or own the company with the link on your response. I appreciate your honesty and will definitely consider looking you guys up when we get there. We will be doing some boat and shore dives as well....the usual stuff....2 Step, Suck'em up etc. Was hoping to turn my friends onto the incredible manta night dive as well. I will keep my fingers crossed!
Thanks again
Susie

Kinda early for the whales, dolphins are aroud all year.

Thanks cuddlefish! I thought Dec-March was whale season too.
Any thoughts on the manta dive? I so loved it last time we were there in November.
Anybody ever stayed at the camper cabins in VNP?
Susie

Ya know, sometimes I have to rember were Im at. The whale s will most certanly be there in Feb but it's kind of early for them to be back in Alaska.

No worries Wildcard. I just thought maybe you were smoking some island ice or something. Do you dive in Alaska? Brrrrrrr....

Yes, once so far. One of our moderators talked me into diving a 7mm wet suit. 45 was OK, 41 was a little cold, 39 bout killed me! I knew better but I didn't have time to decide on a dry suit. I gave it a shot. It worked for AB diving in CA, I figured it wasen't that much worse. I was wrong!!!! Thats twice now that has happened :)
So last Feb I was diving Kona side and the whales were all around us. Id inhale and hold my breath (shh, don't tell PADI) just so I could listen. It was so cool!
Enjoy your visit. If you have any questions just PM me and I can tell you all about my favorite island.

I only dive with one operator, Jack’s Diving Locker. They list on a whiteboard outside the back door or dive loading dock what they saw each day/dives. You can check them when you arrive and see what the previous days sightings have been.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom