Manta Reels

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

PerroneFord

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
Hey guys,

It's about time for me to start purchasing some reels. I am interested in those of you who've pursued cave training, how you feel about the Manta reels. I didn't really see a lot in DIR about reels or types of reels, so I'd not like to run afoul of good DIR practices. :)

Thanks,

-P

PerroneFord:
It's about time for me to start purchasing some reels. I am interested in those of you who've pursued cave training, how you feel about the Manta reels. I didn't really see a lot in DIR about reels or types of reels, so I'd not like to run afoul of good DIR practices. :)
The reason why you don't see much about DIR reels is because for the most part, reels are not DIR. :wink:

DIR divers prefer spools for most applications - one-piece construction, easy to deploy, no moving parts, nothing to jam or catch on the line, and small enough to stow several in a pocket. The only time we use reels is for penetrations into overhead environments, to provide a continuous guideline back to open water. In complex environments where there is a permanent guideline (such as caves), we use a reel for the initial penetration from open water to the start of the permanent line, and then spools for all other purposes (exploring side passages, etc).

Reels that are designed for penetration are usually nothing more than large spools with attached handles. The moving parts of the reel are machined with close tolerances to minimize the space between them. This prevents the guideline from falling into the mechanism, which could cause the reel to jam (bad news if you're in a "no lights" situation).

I am not personally familiar with the Manta products, but a quick glance at their website shows a few items that would seem to be suitable for a DIR diver. Their finger spools appear to be of a design that is compatible with DIR diving. Most of the reels, unfortunately, would not be as desireable - too many moving parts, with lots of places for the line to catch. The only one that seems like it might be "DIR compliant" is the CR-1. It is basically an open face reel with an attached handle, which looks like it might satisfy the needs of a DIR diver.

Umm,

I asked about reels because I am looking at penetration diving classes. I would also assume that shooting a bag up from below 150 would require the use of a reel and not a finger spool. Unless Halcyon has released a 200ft finger spool that I missed... :wink:

I looked at the reels at EE and some other places. I might go with one of those, just wondered if anyone in the DIR community was using the Mantas. I know several other people who are.

LOL!!

Any particular kind of suckage? Or just overall?

DIR divers don't use reels? How do they get to the gold-line in the Devils System without one. Surely they do not advocate not having a continuous guideline to open water.

I've seen plenty of GUE divers using reels.

PerroneFord:
. Unless Halcyon has released a 200ft finger spool that I missed... :wink:

Nope, DSS makes that.

Jason, when the talk turns to DIR, your never far behind, your like the opposite of Jonnythan!:D

WaterDawg:
Nope, DSS makes that.

Jason, when the talk turns to DIR, your never far behind, your like the opposite of Jonnythan!:D
You know me too well Chris...:D

I like the the side handle idea, makes it much easier to reel with a HID and it doesnt foul as much as some others I have seen.

As for brands I use a Halcyon, but Salvo makes one that is almost identical (except the salvo handle is delrin vs aluminium). I think Dive Rite also has a side handle reel.

Hope this helps a bit,

I use the Manta's, I took out the bent washer (its there to hold a bit of friction on the spool itself to keep it from freewheeling), now it will easily let the line roll off.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/
http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom