Question Mares 28hr vs Scubapro mk19 evo

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Mario007

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
I think it's time to upgrade. I currently use an old dacor viper. Mainly shore air dive, on average two dives a week.
I'm looking to buy a set of regular that I can keep if I will move to SM or twin in the near future. I was also looking at Apeks but after the financial news I don't feel confident to buy them.
I don't have issues about service as both of these brand is serviced locally.
Which one you would go for, and why?

I'd go for the Mares 28XR (HR is one of the second stages in the XR line). I think it looks nicer than the Mk19, these are diaphragm regs and Mares has always specialized in diaphragms while ScubaPro has primarily focused on pistons. Finally, the environmental seal on the Mk19 is a little more finicky: MK15/20/25/19 How about that?

But let's be real. These are high end regs with basically identical specs. I doubt anyone could tell the difference between them if they were paired with the same second stage. So get whichever you want.

You do know these are both made in Italy? The factories are 30km from each other along the Ligurian coast.

The factory is the same. Mares doesn't have its own factory AFAIK.

I was a dealer for both SP and Mares for a very long time. I had one of the best service centers in NE USA. The Service/warranty manager of Mares was one of my technicians before he became the service/warranty manager for Mares. He came back to work with me after he left them. Mares regulators, or anything scuba, is NO Scubapro, not even close. Mares is FIAT when SP is Mercedes. Factory maybe the same but engineering, design, quality controls, parts, specs are vastly different. Mares regulators do look good and fashionable, that for sure, very pretty.

Thanks for the reply in the end I went for xtx50 +DST I found a good deal

Back
Top Bottom